How much water storage do I really need?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I rely on maxing out my storage to 185 +/- each night and bringing it all the way down to 140 (sometimes lower) before I start the next fire. Overall, and some may disagree, I don’t think you can get the same responsiveness and performance in this broad a range with non-pressurized tanks.

That is 45 degrees * weight of water in your tank. Each situation is different, I have an open tank I use from 170-110 for 60 Degrees * my water mass. It heats just fine. I have the EDPM with a plate HX external.

I used a spreadsheet when figuring out how big with just the information the guys here are talking about.
1) Usable heat range for YOUR home, radiant ? Forced Air, etc.
2) Burn time needed to charge the tank to "full" This is where larger is not allays better. And a reasonable estimate of your boilers output is needed.
3) # of hours you want to run before burning again. ( This requires knowing your heat load ) I was aiming for one burn per day on the coldest day.
I balanced these things and came up with how many BTU's I would need and then backed that into gallons of water and came out with 1500.

Attachments

• Screenshot-2.png
    Screenshot-2.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 263
Status
Not open for further replies.