how tight, is air tight?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jersey tamato

Nov 11, 2013
Toms River NJ
I replaced all the gaskets on my resolute, and when I first fire it up, I see slight areas around the pipe to the color, where there's light. Also... the glass gets black smoke on it after every burn. I may have stretched the gaskets on the doors, when I replaced them. So I purchased new gaskets and will hopefully get a better seal on the doors. But when I close the damper after I have a good ash bed with hot coals within the first hour, how air tight should it be?

Thefact that the glass gets black suggests that the stove IS tight, tight enough to keep it from burning hot enough to clear rhe glass. Generally, when the stove gets hot enough the black burns off. The real test is that when you adjust the primary air by means of the draft controlon he back of the stove, you should soon afterwards see a corresponding change in the surface and/or flue temperature. Also, there should be a qualitative change in the fire itself, either bigger or smaller.

You apparently did a fine job regasketing!

Thanks. I got the control on the back of the stove, working great! I read a few different opinions on when to close the damper and for what reason. I take it, closing the damper will increase the efficiency of the stove by burning more of the smoke off? But how long after the stove has been burning, do I close it? Should I leave the damper closed when I head to bed? Some you tube video's recommend loading the stove with wood, once a good bed of coals in established. closing the damper, and let it burn till it's back down to coals.
Thoughts or opinions? I'd like to use my stove in the best way possible.
BTW... I can't thank you and this forum, enough for all the help I've received.

JT, somewhere on this site you can download the operations manual for that stove. Well worth having!!!

I like to have a good fire going and a griddle temp of 550-600 before I switch from vertical to horizontal mode. While we are still up, I'll have the air control flap 1/4 to half open but at bedtime I'll adjust it to where the flap is just barely closed. My stove is not really airtight. The gaskets are good but there are a couple of small leaks in the seals in the upper back area. I'll fix that one of these days. As it is, after an overnight burn of well packed stove, I'll have some good coals and a surface temp of about 300 degrees. I'm good with that and it makes it easy to restart.

As one of my partners always says, "As tight as a fishes ear"

Reactions: jersey tamato
go for it jersey. you need to get it good and hot for secondary to go. i would say start it get it up to 650 then close the damper and then you'll see how much heat it will put out. if you spike it up to over 600 in twenty minutes you have to run it a bit longer for the secondary to light off. i start my stove using the top down start method and it can be up to 600 in 20 20 to 25 minutes but the bottom part of the stove be alot cooler so you need to run it around 45 to 1 hour then close your damper.

Done... thanks a lot for the words of wisdom. I ran the stove all day yesterday. I closed the damper after about 30-40 min. Worked great, thanks to your advise. I have a small 2 bedroom ranch. Electric baseboard heat, and had the heat on low. The stove keep the house at 74 till about 5:30am! But I'll get it loaded up tonight and see how long she'll burn. I'm real impressed with how this Resolute burns, and how I can control the temp. But I wonder what the little hole on the left hand side is? it's on a spring loaded screw. I thought it was a self adjusting air intake, but I can't see how it works as one.

that hole should be run wide open when you close the damper. if you are running the stove damper open then it should be closed so the inlet with the spring can keep the temp controlled. when your going to close the damper open up the that little teardrop shaped vent and close the damper that should allow the extra oxygen for the secondary burn. in that mode it runs cleaner with less if any smoke and burn for a longer time.

that hole should be run wide open when you close the damper. if you are running the stove damper open then it should be closed so the inlet with the spring can keep the temp controlled. when your going to close the damper open up the that little teardrop shaped vent and close the damper that should allow the extra oxygen for the secondary burn. in that mode it runs cleaner with less if any smoke and burn for a longer time.

Great!... I didn't know this. Just another little thing that makes me happy to be on this forum. Thanks a ton.. I mean... thanks a cord!

Status
Not open for further replies.