How to adjust Englander 25 PAH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

slipjohn1

Nov 12, 2016
NH
I'm having trouble with this crappy stove. It soots up, shuts down every few hours and isn't putting out enough heat. I have done everything, cleaned everything. I think the stove is just crap. I keep reading about factory settings and modes like 1-4-1, etc. Where are you finding these settings? How do I find them and set them? I have looked in the manual and on the site and found nothing. Everyone talks about the settings, but no one says how to do it. I guess I'm way out of the loop. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

I don't have a pah but I have a Englander pdv 25. Thebottom 3 button we talk about are on the control board under the on and off switch. To adjust them simply press one of the buttons and a number will show up in the led window. To adjust to a higher or lower number use the blower speed arrows. Do not adjust the air temp on button. It's the one on the right and on my pdv it is set to #1 and needs to stay there for Saftey. The modes are adjusted by a sequence of unplugging and plugging back in while pushing some buttons. If you search changing the mode setting on this site lots should come up. My pdv is set to c mode but I do not know what the pah should be. I would either contact Engler tech or message the stove guy on this site . He is a Englander tech and seems really good. Hopefully others will chime in here.

If you can't find the info by a search, stoveguy2@esw would have the definitive answer. Can send him a PM or use the email in his sig line.

How do I find him on here? I am obviously terrible with this site. I hit the magnifying glass and do a search for his name and it brings up just your response to me where you wrote it. How do I search for him specifically?

I doubt the bottom 3 will solve your problems if its sooting up that fast and shutting down every few hours. Mine has been there. Way more problems than just the 'fine tuning' I think. The bottom 3 buttons when pressed should light up a number each, default should be 1-4-1. As you can see the first one, which adjusts the pellet feed, is already at minimum (pretty silly to have a tuning control but default it so you can only adjust it in one direction, but I digress). The middle LBA button, adjusts the air. I have mine pegged to 9 pretty much all the time. To adjust you press both up arrows together, or both down arrows together. Don't touch the last one, which just adjusts when the room blower automatically kicks on. I forget how to do the mode or whatever it's called, it should be mode 3 iirc for the PAH, but don't quote me on that just yet.

Not sure if you may have similar problems but on mine the stove body warped enough that the centers of the door and ash pan had a gap where air was leaking through the gasket. Had to remove the gaskets and install much thicker gaskets. Check yours by shutting the door on a dollar bill and seeing if the dollar bill pulls easily through the closed door. Check all around the gaskets. I could insert a dollar bill from the outside with the door latched!

Also this stove has a maze of exhaust channels behind it. You have to bang on the back of the stove pretty good with a mallet or something to get the crud to fall down to the bottom where you can get at it with a vacuum or something. I'd like to have a diagram of just exactly what this looks like because I think mine is gummed up back there to where I can't get at it. I'm still trying to figure out a better way of cleaning back there.

Might also help to describe your venting, and make sure your OAK isn't clogged or too restrictive.

Typical 3" vent out through wall. I clean it thoroughly though. Outside air is fine. Tube is clear and pulling in good cold air. No warpage on front but I'll look out for that. Seems like that would come from too much heat. Dollar bill test is fine, door is tight. I will say the ash pan setup on this is garbage. The locks are springs and don't really get tight. I think that is a big part of the problem. I'm getting a new gasket for it and I'm trying to come up with a way to latch it tighter. When latched as tight as it will go it wiggles. That's not a good seal.

I doubt the bottom 3 will solve your problems if its sooting up that fast and shutting down every few hours. Mine has been there. Way more problems than just the 'fine tuning' I think. The bottom 3 buttons when pressed should light up a number each, default should be 1-4-1. As you can see the first one, which adjusts the pellet feed, is already at minimum (pretty silly to have a tuning control but default it so you can only adjust it in one direction, but I digress). The middle LBA button, adjusts the air. I have mine pegged to 9 pretty much all the time. To adjust you press both up arrows together, or both down arrows together. Don't touch the last one, which just adjusts when the room blower automatically kicks on. I forget how to do the mode or whatever it's called, it should be mode 3 iirc for the PAH, but don't quote me on that just yet.

Not sure if you may have similar problems but on mine the stove body warped enough that the centers of the door and ash pan had a gap where air was leaking through the gasket. Had to remove the gaskets and install much thicker gaskets. Check yours by shutting the door on a dollar bill and seeing if the dollar bill pulls easily through the closed door. Check all around the gaskets. I could insert a dollar bill from the outside with the door latched!

Also this stove has a maze of exhaust channels behind it. You have to bang on the back of the stove pretty good with a mallet or something to get the crud to fall down to the bottom where you can get at it with a vacuum or something. I'd like to have a diagram of just exactly what this looks like because I think mine is gummed up back there to where I can't get at it. I'm still trying to figure out a better way of cleaning back there.

Might also help to describe your venting, and make sure your OAK isn't clogged or too restrictive.

Did you do the dollar bill test on the ash pan too, I wasn't quite sure from what you said. Also does your ash pile up smoothly around the burn pot or is there a spot that is clear where air may be leaking out and bypassing the pot? I had that too, either the cradle can warp or the burn pot, a put a gasket under the lip of the burn pot. Any air that bypasses the inside of the burn pot will cause a reduction in burn quality.

Dollar bill on door is good but I know ashpan is terrible. As I mentioned the locks don't hold very tight and I wiggles. I have a new gasket coming. Never noticed what you mentioned on burnpot but I'll take a closer look.