How to clean a melted stuffed toy stain off the top of Regency F3500?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stovewifey

Nov 19, 2023
British Columbia, Canada
My 7-year-old touched his polyester stuffed toy to the top of our year-old wood stove (Regency F3500). There's a large stain now. What can I do to clean it off as best as possible?

20231119_090230.jpg

It would probably take a solvent for the plastic which would also take off the paint. I'd try to wipe it down as best as possible while the stove top is warm. After that it may take sanding or steelwooling the rest off and repainting that area.

Reactions: Stovewifey
IMO, whatever you use to remove the plastic will remove the paint so you will end up having to repaint the top and deal with smell of curing stove paint (unless you move it outside and run a burn or two).

Just let it keep burning off. One that too has gotten really good and hot a couple time wipe it down. When cool with a damp rag. Buy a nice trivet

You could try WD40, when the stove is cold, it might work. It works on a lot of things like this, and it shouldnt hurt the paint.

It won’t be the last blemish it gets. It’s like the first nicknor scratch on a new car. You get over them or pay to have them fixed