How to Clean Enviro Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokey_pelletstove

Nov 15, 2012
How do I clean this? I haven't cleaned the insert or chimney before. I looked at the instructions and it says to remove the fake brickwork at the back of the stove, but do I need to do that? Also, what's the best way to clean the top of the insert - some bits of pellets have fallen into the slats. Appreciate your help and sorry if the questions are basic, but I tried to google the forum and didn't find the answer. FireplaceBrick1.jpgFireplaceBrick3.jpgFireplaceTop.jpg

Yes, you absolutely need to remove that brickwork, there are cleanout ports behind that brick that need to be cleaned. To remove them just take out the screws that hold it in place, you can see them two on each side on those flat metal bars on either side of the liner. From how old those screws are looking I would soak them in WD40 or other penetrating oil for a while before trying to remove them. From the pictures it looks like you have an EF2?

not sure what an EF2 is.. this is just a plain old Enviro insert as far as I can tell.

Thanks for your info. Do I need to remove the top as well to get at the stuff that's fallen through the slats?

An EF2 is a model of stove that Enviro makes. They have a bunch of different models and I can't get specific on how to get into that grate without knowing what model you have. Some have a removable trivet that is held in place by pop springs, some are held in by screws and some of them the stove body is a single piece and you will need to smash the pellets and vacuum them out.

I know that stove!! It's a Meridian. Finally, some one on this forum besides me that owns one.
Yes, you need to remove the brickwork, very easy, just 4 screws.

Get a small paint brush and go between the heating tubes, vacuum out every possible nook and cranny of the stove.
If you're brave enough to go on your roof and use the leaf blower trick, your stove will be spotless. Your stove will look and perform great.

I've never been able to take the grating off the top off the stove, there has to be an undiscovered trick to this. What I usually do is get a can of compressed air and blast the pellets and dust out of there.

I know that stove!! It's a Meridian. Finally, some one on this forum besides me that owns one.
Yes, you need to remove the brickwork, very easy, just 4 screws.

Get a small paint brush and go between the heating tubes, vacuum out every possible nook and cranny of the stove.
If you're brave enough to go on your roof and use the leaf blower trick, your stove will be spotless. Your stove will look and perform great.

I've never been able to take the grating off the top off the stove, there has to be an undiscovered trick to this. What I usually do is get a can of compressed air and blast the pellets and dust out of there.
Just a quick warning about leaf blower trick. Disconnect your air pressure/vacuum switch first. Other than possibly damaging that switch and irritating your neighbors it is fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.