How To Clean The Potentiometers (P-43)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kilogulf59

Dec 17, 2017
Juneau County WI
I was wondering about the correct way to clean the potentiometers on a Hamman P-43. Obviously unplug the stove. Then what? I assume I use electrical contact cleaner? If there's a tutorial on this I missed it, I did look.

There is no "procedure". Many have great success pulling the knobs off,or off a little, and spraying around the shafts, while turning the knobs/shafts gently back and forth. Others(me) will pull the board out part of the way, so they can be sprayed from both sides,well, almost,lol. As with most "pots" you usually get a better job if you blow them out with air,also. A can of "air" is cheap, and I prefer QD electronic cleaner, but do not use anything harsh,like carb or brake cleaner.

Be careful with straight electronic cleaner from the automotive store as they do not have lubricants for the pot. They will clean them well, however.

I never cared for years until one time I sprayed some in a switch and worked it off/on and it froze after working it for about 5 seconds. Better thing to use is Caig DeOxit cleaner and lubricant. If you don't want to spend that I've had good success with using isopropyl alcohol and then injecting the pot with a bit of dielectric grease.

Reactions: kilogulf59
Be careful with straight electronic cleaner from the automotive store as they do not have lubricants for the pot. They will clean them well, however.

I never cared for years until one time I sprayed some in a switch and worked it off/on and it froze after working it for about 5 seconds. Better thing to use is Caig DeOxit cleaner and lubricant. If you don't want to spend that I've had good success with using isopropyl alcohol and then injecting the pot with a bit of dielectric grease.
Good and bad. These are usually carbon trace pots, and standard DeOxIt can ruin them. Dielectric is an insulator.

Good and bad. These are usually carbon trace pots, and standard DeOxIt can ruin them. Dielectric is an insulator.
Ah yeah, didn't think about that. I guess I have gotten lucky, yet again, by doing it wrong for many years.

Deoxit faderlube would be the safest to try, if yours are that bad, I would replace them .
This is supposed to be good stuff that is safe to use, never tried it, but will give it a try in the future.

Well, I greatly appreciate all the advice but I'm a bit confused. Is this the stuff I should use? Oh, and blow it out afterwards with canned air?
1637524763320.jpeg
I don't know if they're bad but I did notice it didn't seem to be feeding like it usually does. I can't explain it but I've had the thing for over 9-years, so... Any-who, I worked the pot back and forth, to it's limits, a few times and it seems to be working better now.

Last edited:
I was having problems with the potentiometers on my Accentra FS. In particular, the stove temp/room temp/off switch was no longer responsive. The distribution blower was either on full force of fully off - nothing in between. Also, I stated getting error codes and the stove would shut down, seemingly for no reason.

I used Deoxit D5 to clean the pots and it restored full control.

Reactions: Mt Bob
I was having problems with the potentiometers on my Accentra FS. In particular, the stove temp/room temp/off switch was no longer responsive. The distribution blower was either on full force of fully off - nothing in between. Also, I stated getting error codes and the stove would shut down, seemingly for no reason.

I used Deoxit D5 to clean the pots and it restored full control.
D5 is good, but things have advanced, as contact cleaners can damage "carbon" potentiometers, and leave them dry. What is now recommended is deoxit f5, specially made for this.

Reactions: maraakate

D5 is good, but things have advanced, as contact cleaners can damage "carbon" potentiometers, and leave them dry. What is now recommended is deoxit f5, specially made for this.
My Harman has Carbon potentiometers ? Maybe a "Sticky" on this in the Harman thread would be good..
I've looked at this many times still confused sometimes as I have other questions..

DEOXIT F5 is specifically made for potentiometers. As such it would be the best to use. Back in the day of mechanical tv tuners this kind of stuff was easy to find.

Ken