How to completely remove Empyre elite 250 system?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bullyboy

Burning Hunk
Apr 8, 2017
Central Ontario
Ok guys, this is my first post. I need some help. Recently purchased this house which has a Empyre 250 from 02. It is absolutely on its last legs. It is a fairly open concept 1250sq ft house with a forced air electric system as well. I don't have the money to replace it and I am going to try heating it primarily with a wood stove next year. So my question is. Where do I begin to permanently remove a system I don't know to much about? I'm not sure where to drain the water from, do I disconnect from the pump and drain it there? Can I simply just remove the heat exchanger and seal the hole? Is there anything I should know about removing a side arm heat exchanger on the hot water tank? Thank you in advance.

Ok guys, this is my first post. I need some help. Recently purchased this house which has a Empyre 250 from 02. It is absolutely on its last legs. It is a fairly open concept 1250sq ft house with a forced air electric system as well. I don't have the money to replace it and I am going to try heating it primarily with a wood stove next year. So my question is. Where do I begin to permanently remove a system I don't know to much about? I'm not sure where to drain the water from, do I disconnect from the pump and drain it there? Can I simply just remove the heat exchanger and seal the hole? Is there anything I should know about removing a side arm heat exchanger on the hot water tank? Thank you in advance.

Post some pictures , there has to be a drain on the boiler .

Would I be right if I said the black plug to the bottom right of the return line is the drain?

Attachments

• boiler1.jpg
    boiler1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 214
  • boiler2.jpg
    boiler2.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 189
Sure looks that way, you could also adapt to the unused supply that is valved. You could use a fitting and short hose to get the bulk of the water out and away from the boiler. Then you could use the drain.

Is it leaking?

If not have you considered putting it on Craigslist? If it is full you can show them that it does not leak before they purchase.

As far as I can see it's not leaking however the fans and damper are both completely shot and the underground pex is leaking. We took possession at the start of the year, by feb there was a good foot of snow everywhere except where the lines run and when ever the power went out and the pump stopped you could see water starting to come up in places and the boiler level would drop. From what I've read and heard I shouldn't be putting much money in a 15 yr old boiler.

You likely won't get all your bases covered in replies here - it's a fairly general situation, and not all boilers are installed the same way. Could be wonky things we can't see that might need different levels of attention.

Maybe post pics of specific situations/areas/things & you should get decent advice.

Can you solder copper piping? Have big pipe wrenches? Other related plumbing tools? A decent recip saw with a good metal cutting blade might be quite helpful also.

I'm fairly good with solder and have most of the tools needed however a recip is high on my want list. Lol. Actually I have tried goosegunner's idea and listed it and got a few responses so I will see were that takes me. To be honest I never thought there was a market for a 15yr old boiler.