How to keep a wood burning stove from moving on floor, hearth floor, tile etc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GrumpyDad

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2022
Champion, PA
My stove is installed onto a hearth floor pad that I made of these little polished pebbles with a sizable amount of grout in between. The stones are pretty darn hard like granite.
the stove came two tiny clips about an inch long with two holes in it, whereas you would theoretically lift the stove, unscrew the leveling feet out, then insert one end of the clip into the feet peg then screw in the other clip into the floor surface. Easier said than done. Lifting the stove , and undoing that and then aligning where to drop, move the stove enough to drill then somehow get a driver to have enough angle space to screw into the other side of the clip. Ugh.
is there something like feet a stove with feet could sit in that would have some abrasiveness to it and keep the stove from moving when bumped into. The floor is so slick it's not hard to move this off center this moving the stove pipe.

How about part of a ceramic drink coaster? They have some abrasive quality and are also noncombustible unlike most furniture feet. Either that or fashion something out of sheet metal?

What size are the pebbles? I think you are probably overthinking it. Stove is heavy. Even if set on the top of a stone 3 other legs need to move too for the the stove to move. It probably will find its place while you are putting it units final position. Earthquake is the only thing I could see moving it much. How seismically active is your region?

What size are the pebbles? I think you are probably overthinking it. Stove is heavy. Even if set on the top of a stone 3 other legs need to move too for the the stove to move. It probably will find its place while you are putting it units final position. Earthquake is the only thing I could see moving it much. How seismically active is your region?
No earthquakes or natural disasters here. Maybe flash flooding but.
The stones are like four inches long by up to two wide. The feet sit in the stones and not between. The stove isn't that heavy, maybe 380. If push the front door hard enough to close it will move the stove. I have a top loader but need to start a fire and clean from front doors.

How about part of a ceramic drink coaster? They have some abrasive quality and are also noncombustible unlike most furniture feet. Either that or fashion something out of sheet metal?
Thats not a bad idea. I think I know what you mean by the ceramic coasters.
I tried to drill through yesterday to install a clip and burned through three masonry drill bits on a hammer drill.

Pics would help a lot. Possibly you could take some sort of angle iron or bar and find a couple of key locations to drill where you would be into grout between stones, and install that on the back of the stove so it wouldn't be visible? Guess you could do the sides, too.... if you think side-to-side motion is an issue, too. But either way, the bar should help you anchor to the grout and that is usually a key when very hard stones / tiles are involved.

Thats not a bad idea. I think I know what you mean by the ceramic coasters.
I tried to drill through yesterday to install a clip and burned through three masonry drill bits on a hammer drill.
Diamond bit? I would be take my diamond cup grinding wheel to roughen a patch but it would probably end badly

My neighbor has same problem, or had I should say, we lifted the stove with a board and block of wood, laid down some thru the roof sealant, nice and neat, set it back down, let it sit for a day, sweet, it's like a hammock for each leg. I used the stuff on a tear on my riding lawn mower seat, 2 years ago, it's still flexible and holding

Diamond bit? I would be take my diamond cup grinding wheel to roughen a patch but it would probably end badly
I have diamond stones for sharpening skis. Though about removing it from the holder and putting this under. Still considering it.

Pics would help a lot. Possibly you could take some sort of angle iron or bar and find a couple of key locations to drill where you would be into grout between stones, and install that on the back of the stove so it wouldn't be visible? Guess you could do the sides, too.... if you think side-to-side motion is an issue, too. But either way, the bar should help you anchor to the grout and that is usually a key when very hard stones / tiles are involved.
There's a picture.
After I looked at it a few times I didn't notice the dog inside the fire. Looks like our dog too but it was fast asleep at the time, not a reflection. This image was created with flames only. Kinda spooky.
But back on topic, those are the stones.

PXL_20220905_053606063.jpg