How to take the doors off. Not familiar with the pedestal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Atarbat

Dec 1, 2020
California
Looking at buying the stove. To make it easier to load in the truck I want to pop the doors off how would I do that?. They say it is a grandma bear I’m not familiar with the pedestal only the four likes

2467D135-1D3C-42F7-833F-57926941C860.png 5C8DADB4-B258-4B73-8B27-9BA467F29C3D.png

Grandma is a 4 legged stove. That is a Teddy Bear. They are normally 7 inch outlet compared to 8 inch Grandma.

All Fisher doors lift right off. The hinge pins are actually solid rivets. If they are stuck from not lubricating with grease or anti seize as they should be, you may have to drive them out with a punch. I’ve had some so stuck so bad they needed to soak with penetrating oil. Rotating carefully without marring the head with pliers usually gets them to move. Once removed, wire wheel pins and clean holes. Lube with high temp grease or silver anti seize. The pins should remove easily by hand and doors lift right off when lubricated properly.

Reactions: Atarbat
Grandma is a 4 legged stove. That is a Teddy Bear. They are normally 7 inch outlet compared to 8 inch Grandma.

All Fisher doors lift right off. The hinge pins are actually solid rivets. If they are stuck from not lubricating with grease or anti seize as they should be, you may have to drive them out with a punch. I’ve had some so stuck so bad they needed to soak with penetrating oil. Rotating carefully without marring the head with pliers usually gets them to move. Once removed, wire wheel pins and clean holes. Lube with high temp grease or silver anti seize. The pins should remove easily by hand and doors lift right off when lubricated properly.
Will the teddy bear heat a 1500 square-foot house?

Ratings when these stoves were built were calculated with 8 foot ceiling and common construction at the time. The zone was Seattle Washington. So any structure built with more insulation than 2x4 walls south of that location doesn’t need as much btu as they were rated for. I will have to check manual and brochures to see if they were rated the same as Grandma. I’m not where the paperwork is, but may have posted a brochure here. I’ll check

Will the teddy bear heat a 1500 square-foot house?
Coaly
I’m used to the grandpa Bear stove will this one work the same? I will be replacing a Lopi with this? Any problems I should know about. I’m assuming the air vent is just through the door vents And not up through the pedestal

Coaly
I’m used to the grandpa Bear stove will this one work the same? I will be replacing a Lopi with this? Any problems I should know about. I’m assuming the air vent is just through the door vents And not up through the pedestal
You do realize you cannot install that stove in california right? What lopi are you replacing?

Yes, Teddy air intake is through the door. Goldilocks is the same box with 6 inch outlet. Goldi is mobile home certified and gets air up through pedestal. It can be raised 1 inch off pad for intake using indoor air for standard construction.

These models all have different uses and chimney requirements are different for all the models.

Your area requires EPA Certified stoves. These can’t be sold or installed legally in CA.

Looking for a little more help. Once I had the teddy bear Fisher stove moved I saw these three pieces inside the fire box. Just laying there. I don’t know where they belong in the stove any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 156
Looking for a little more help. Once I had the teddy bear Fisher stove moved I saw these three pieces inside the fire box. Just laying there. I don’t know where they belong in the stove any help would be appreciated
They were probably using them as a grate to elevate the fire. Burn on the stove bottom, and as ash accumulates, always leave about an inch of ash to burn on.

Keep a glove near the stove if you must use your hands. The large fins were designed to be turned with your foot in a sock or shoe.

Keep the threads lubricated with high temp grease or silver anti-seize. You can reach through the opening on the back of the door to keep the threads coated. They spin very easily and you don’t have to touch them hard or press against them. The edge stays cooler, I have mechanics hands so it doesn’t bother me. This also prevents wear. Same with door hinge pins.

A word of caution. When the doors are lubed and swing free, they tend to open farther than you’re used to. With your hand on the spring, the door edge can contact your forearm or wrist. That’s a tender spot and it hurts. If you do it more than once you’ll want longer welder type gloves to prevent a very hot stove from doing that.

Keep a glove near the stove if you must use your hands. The large fins were designed to be turned with your foot in a sock or shoe.

Keep the threads lubricated with high temp grease or silver anti-seize. You can reach through the opening on the back of the door to keep the threads coated. They spin very easily and you don’t have to touch them hard or press against them. The edge stays cooler, I have mechanics hands so it doesn’t bother me. This also prevents wear. Same with door hinge pins.
Yes I am able to just use my fireplace poker to open and close the vents and I may leave a glove there to