How to tighten up loose log sets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Flathead

Oct 2, 2011
East KY
I have a direct vent gas fireplace with a big fake log set that still looks good. As the years have passed, I've been forced to remove the logs carefully quite a few times to repair the stove, clean it, etc. As a result, the holes that slide over the steel pegs have become worn and loose. Now the logs want to slip or lean over which is causing problems with the flames. Is there any substance (perhaps like a flame-proof foam mixture) that I can use to tighten up the connections?

What about some sort of sleeve (like a metal spacer) slipped over the pegs, to effectively make the pegs bigger (So instead of shrinking the holes, you're just enlarging the pegs)?

Reactions: Lennox65