How to vent new Mt. VERNON through class A?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Edrrt

Nov 19, 2019
Sonoma
I just bought a quadrafire Mt. Vernon. Came with 10ft of 3" double wall pellet pipe at T

Replacing a Ben Franklin stove with 8 in single wall to the cieling thimble where it moves to class A.

About 8' from the stove to the thimble. Then the class A runs about 5ft through the attic and about 3ft out the roof.

Should I just adapt the pellet pipe to the class A or will this back things up and I should just run pellet pipe straight through?

I'm at 300ft above sea level but a very windy area.

20210122_011700.jpg

Thanks everyone.

Just get the "8 in adapter to convert to pellet vent at the ceiling thimble. That is exactly how I did my father in laws

Reactions: johneh and Ssyko
Just get the "8 in adapter to convert to pellet vent at the ceiling thimble. That is exactly how I did my father in laws
The guy at the stove store was telling me that it will destroy the stove because it will have a large amount of cold air in there that the stove is working to pump against. And that really I should continue straight up through.

Intuitively it doesn't seem like I should make that much of a difference.

I have had my quad running through 3”duravent into a 3”to 6” adaptor up a class A chimney for 19yrs and my Maxx for2 and have never had a problem with either stove or vent. I think he just wants to sell more pipe

I have had my quad running through 3”duravent into a 3”to 6” adaptor up a class A chimney for 19yrs and my Maxx for2 and have never had a problem with either stove or vent. I think he just wants to sell more pipe
X2

Maybe if you are venting into a 30 ft. 8" it could maybe be a issue. But definetly not 5-10Ft.

Does anyone know what type of adapter I should be specifically searching for. I see a number of 3 in to 8 adapters but none of them look like they will mate with this.

The ceiling section is a female end and just crimpmed 8" single-wall sides into it.

I guess I'm looking for something with an 8-inch crimped single-wall on one end and 3 in pellet pipe on the other.

Or do I get an adapter that goes between them?

20210125_141952.jpg

3PVP-X8 810001102

Copy and paste this. That is how you adapt

3PVP-X8 810001102

Copy and paste this. That is how you adapt

That search shows these which I have seen but they look like female on the 8" end?

The piece in the ceiling was female and accepted a crimped tapered male section. Will this adapter slide into or over the existing female coupling? It does not look designed for that fit up?

Second the description says it requires an adapter?

What am I not understanding?

Attachments

• 20210126_120622.jpg
    20210126_120622.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 80
A bead of high temp silicone slide them together and 3 short self tapping screws. Thats how mine went together

A bead of high temp silicone slide them together and 3 short self tapping screws. Thats how mine went together
Is the adapter male or female where it connects to the class A? Does it slide inside or does it go over the outside?

I think you have to just get one and try it. We did not need a adapter that I can remember

Well the dryer vent 8 inch to 3 inch adapter does not work. That adapter measures about 9 and 1/4 inches across.

I also tried with the adapter flange and it does not work either.

This type of Chimney looks like it's made for some type of twist lock. Does anybody know what this is?

I suppose my other options are to find some type of a cap that goes over it and just run the pipe all the way through. Or maybe get an 8 inch butt joint fitting and try to tie into that but then the hole in the top of the adapter are just venting up into the area around the inner pipe and I don't know if that's bad?

Attachments

• 20210206_143216.jpg
    20210206_143216.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 20210206_143211.jpg
    20210206_143211.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 20210206_143154.jpg
    20210206_143154.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 20210206_143150.jpg
    20210206_143150.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 86
So no options?

If not does anyone make a 8" to 3" reducer I could use to just run the pipe up the class A with? Does it need to be sealed top and bottom well to prevent embers from falling back down or can I just dress it with a sheet metal something I fabricate as a spacer and it terminates under the existing 8" chimney cap at the roof?

Do you have any idea what brand your ceiling support box and class a is? If so, like if it’s duravent, then call them. These things are proprietary.

I figured out it's a Selkirk 8" Sure Temp chimney.

The Selkirk 3x8 adapter slips over the outside of the 8" inner pipe. Anyone know how the 3" attaches? Is it just a slip in and silicone job? Would it slip into duravent or should I toss all my duravent and switch to Selkirk?
And how do you clean with these reducers? Does fly ash build up on the the other side?

Attachments

• wd3sgcrotfri04c7yk0s__07036.1611909018.jpg
    wd3sgcrotfri04c7yk0s__07036.1611909018.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: Washed-Up
So for anyone following in my footsteps here is the answer. The chimney pipe is sitting in the ceiling support box without an adapter on it. The previous owner placed an 8in crimped pipe inside the inner liner which obviously is not correct.

Selkirk makes three options. They have a dripless connector and also a chimney adapter that will twist in however the chimney needs to be pulled up from above out of the support box so that it can be attached.

If someone does not want to go through all of that they do make a single wall dripless connection from below that will go around the inner liner and then extended below the Box so that the pellet vent adapter can then slide over that.

All three options are shown in the attachment below.

Since pellet stoves are positive pressure system I'm going to pull the chimney up to put the adapter on since it will probably create a better seal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210208-122430_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20210208-122430_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 83