How's bout 24/7 on low ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muss

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2008
Embden, Maine
tds
Thanks everybody for answering my vent question. Now, about running it on low on a regular basis . I figure it would keep the temp at a fairly even displacement but even if it doesn't , i'm still curious as to what harm or effect if any it would have on the stove's inner workings . Talked to a stove manufacturer yesterday and i really thought he was very careful if not evasive with most of my questions . He more or less told me my dealer could answer my questions. This really made me "wiggy" . But on everyone's advice on here, i will be going up & thru my roof overhang .

muss said:
Thanks everybody for answering my vent question. Now, about running it on low on a regular basis . I figure it would keep the temp at a fairly even displacement but even if it doesn't , i'm still curious as to what harm or effect if any it would have on the stove's inner workings . Talked to a stove manufacturer yesterday and i really thought he was very careful if not evasive with most of my questions . He more or less told me my dealer could answer my questions. This really made me "wiggy" . But on everyone's advice on here, i will be going up & thru my roof overhang .

Hey Muss....I have had my stove since Jan. 8th of this year.....have ran it on low pretty much 24/7 outside of a few times here and there when its really cold out and want good warmth and put it up on medium. I use high only if we have been gone and come home and want some faster warm up then I set it back down. I use low and it keeps the heat pretty much even throughout. You have to adjust for your own comfort but low and sometimes medium works for us :)

Now thats its Spring kind of......I'll turn it down to like 68-70 and let it go out and crank it up towards evening...

I had my installer tell me that if I burn on low often I'll get more creosote build-up in the pipes. I personally have no idea if this is true or not. I've burned mine on 1 & 2 fan setting due to warm temps and never had it higher than fan setting 3 since in operation. I honestly can not tell if this is happening.(or not) Guess I'll find out on the first stove pipe cleaning. Maybe someone who does their own cleanings will chime in. I really like to know for sure too. My glass stays cleaner since I've changed pellets. Even before I switch pellets, glass dirt was a white (ish) powder. I would think the glass would be a good indication as to how things are burning. Only guessing though.

Marster said:
I had my installer tell me that if I burn on low often I'll get more creosote build-up in the pipes. I personally have no idea if this is true or not. I've burned mine on 1 & 2 fan setting due to warm temps and never had it higher than fan setting 3 since in operation. I honestly can not tell if this is happening.(or not) Guess I'll find out on the first stove pipe cleaning. Maybe someone who does their own cleanings will chime in. I really like to know for sure too. My glass stays cleaner since I've changed pellets. Even before I switch pellets, glass dirt was a white (ish) powder. I would think the glass would be a good indication as to how things are burning. Only guessing though.

You will get a build up of creosote on your pipes, but if you run it for about an hour on high after a good cleaning, most of the creosote will burn off.

Since I clean my stove every 1-2 weeks I really don't have much build up. Even running it on high for about an hour a day will burn off most of it.

I've never heard of any problems with running a stove on low. Now that it's spring, I keep mine on low during the day and crank it up at night.

I guess the only problem would be if you were using a low heat, ashy pellet.

3rd season with our pellet stove and I've never found "creosote" in the pipes.
I clean the pipe system once at the beginning of the season and once
at the end. Only thing that comes down is fine ash.

My stove burns 24/7 in the winter months, in early Fall and late Spring
I burn on low all day. Only thing I have seen as a result is the door glass gets
dirty very quickly on low. If I run it on a higher burn the glass stays
pretty much clear. Not really a problem actually, just something I noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.