HS Tarm Model 2002 102,500 BTU wood gasification boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogbones

Hearth Supporter
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate NY
Ok without everyone telling me how I should save up and get a brand new unit and they have tax incentives and stuff like that. Because I already know how to use "Google". Can you guys tell me if this unit is good or bad, or is known for this is that???

I found a HS Tarm Model 2002 102,500 BTU wood gasification boiler for $3k. I have already Googled that unit but I would like some feedback from real world experience.

Thanks
Beach

Sounds like this would be the solo 30 is that correct ?

Doesn't look like my solo 30. Must have come before the solo series. It looks a lot like the non gasser type they produced in the 80s. If I were you I would check with Bioheat to make sure the unit is a gasification boiler. Tarms are known for longevity, but that is still quite a bit of change for a unit that is not new.

Nice boiler, but it is 18 years old..... if you look through the ad, "cleaned and inspected" means refurbished..... sure looks pretty though. Looks like a direct copy of an Atmos schematic. But not such a big difference in price from a new Atmos. I see no electronics, so no regulated damper? That would pretty much kill the deal for me.

But hey, I'd like to have a Greenwood so you have to take what I say with a grain of salt!!!! lol

This is a solo 30 model, although there are slight differences between then and now.
As a point of reference, this model sold new for about $3600 that many years ago - maybe even less on sale.

It is a great boiler BUT - Gasification units can have issues with internal corrosion, especially when used without storage and in certain conditions, which means it might start leaking any day now! In fact, 18 years is doing pretty good.

In Europe, where these things are quite popular, most users would replace their boilers on a 15-18 year time frame anyway.

In short, for 3 grand it seems like a big gamble to me. If you had a X-ray machine and could inspect all welds and steel thicknesses, it might be a different story!

Well the guy that is selling it sent me a pic of the ID tag and this is what it said. 1991 SO PL 30 60psi test pressure 103,000 Max Combined Btu Per hour

Status
Not open for further replies.