Hurricane Harvey

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Some of the oversight will come from insurance companies who will no longer insure substandard homes knowing they will have to pick up the tab for storm damage. The govt picking up the tab is a whole different world. Always easy to spend someone elses money at no risk to your own. I assume the Govt would have a role in rebuilding storm proof infrastructure , not so much in private business and homes.

Last edited:
Also, the Texas congressional delegation is going to have to take a lot of "pork" in the relief bill to get other states to vote for it. Especially states that are going thru their own natural disasters right now (like Montana and California). And I think the Texas delegation will have to leave their principles at the door and cut deals for this aid. Life comes at you fast, they say.

Eventually the cost of these storms is going to have to be baked into the cost of living in the states most affected by these storms. I cant see an endless train of borrowed federal money from Washington without some changes. To be honest its all borrowed or printed and new debt at this point.

Also, the Texas congressional delegation is going to have to take a lot of "pork" in the relief bill to get other states to vote for it. Especially states that are going thru their own natural disasters right now (like Montana and California). And I think the Texas delegation will have to leave their principles at the door and cut deals for this aid. Life comes at you fast, they say.
If it's like Katrina, the big "pork" winners will be the usual suspects - Halliburton, KBR, Blackwater, etc.. Some companies actually made millions with little or no direct involvement. All they did was handle the subcontractors.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/12875663/...ntractors-rake-it-they-clean-it/#.WbLVOdOGNE4

Reactions: vinny11950
Rand Paul offered the Senate to defer foreign aid to hurricane victims. Shot down.
Thomas Massie did the same thing in the House, but rules prevented a vote.

More important to give our money away (money we don't have and will pay interest on) to foreign powers than to help neighbors. Your government at 'work'.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
As with everything its about "oversight" Which is why i believe, the more Govt involvement the more waste ,fraud and abuse.
You can point to lack of oversight in every aspect of Govt. Military. Food Stamps, Disability claims, SS checks going out to dead people for 20 years to name a few. And spending borrowed money ,you would think there would be some effort to spend it wisely. Unless this changes ,they are just wasting our time and money. IMHO.

Reactions: sportbikerider78