Huskee 22 hydraulic pump leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beagler

Sep 9, 2007
I have noticed a small leak from the top of my pump. From reading other posts, it seems this is not uncommon. I’m not sure however if I can fix the old pump or if I need to order a new one. Any thoughts?

At around a hundred bucks for a new one, I am not sure I would be inclined to try to repair the old one. Some pumps are field repairable and some aren't. To dig in to one and find a scored shaft or worn gears is just time wasted.
On the other hand, if its shot,there is no harm in pulling it apart to see if its repairable. YMMV.

Talked to Speeco, and they said this style is not repairable. They do not offer a seal/gasket kit. They recommend a new style for $200

post a picture if you can. Figure out where the leak is. If it’s around one of the cartridges it may be just a simple industrial o ring for a buck. If it’s between the sections you can get o rings there also. be very careful of the shaft seal although those are usually industrial dimensions also. if it’s a Chinese pump, then who knows what the O-ring dimensions are there probably not AS standard
If you have to replace a pump go to surplus center it’ll be well under $200. and do the math you might be able to bump up to a 13 gallon pretty easy. Usually the small section displacement is the same between 11 and 13 gpm total.

OEM prices are generally excessive . Log splitter pumps of the same gpm are typically interchangeable and available at greatly reduced prices.

Thanks for the info. It’s leaking out of the shaft I believe. I have seen some pumps on Amazon for 135ish... I’ll keep digging around.

you may not even have to disassemble that then. Sometimes the shaft seal is held in with a snap ring and you can bring it out or sometimes it’s behind the shoulder and it’s on the inside of the casting.

If the leak is small enough, and you store it inside, I would opt to park it on some OSB, for about $10 a sheet and keep it topped off. You can buy a lot of hydro fluid for $200.

Reactions: kevin j
If the leak is small enough, and you store it inside, I would opt to park it on some OSB, for about $10 a sheet and keep it topped off. You can buy a lot of hydro fluid for $200.
Exactly! That is my plan until it blows out or stops working.

Sounds like an excuse to hotrod your splitter. See my thread(s) on this subject, if you have money to burn on it.

Or a bucket of kindling,then you still get a use from the oil,starting a fire