Husky 339XP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carpniels

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2005
Rome, NY, USA
HI Guys,

I was looking for a smaller saw today (I currently have a Husky 359 which is great but quite heavy). I want a smaller saw for limbing.

I saw on the Husky webstie a new saw Husky 339XP. It is light (8.8 lb) and appears to have the power and bar (14-16") that I want.

Has anyone seen one yet? Is it good? I cannot find any price on the internet, so how much does it cost?

According to some arborist websites, the styling is ugly but it is well balanced.

Any other comments?

Thanks

Carpniels

Any other suggestions for light, cheaper saws from good brands (Husky, Stihl, Johnsered, Dolmar)?

We use to run some 338s which is almost the same saw and we had a lot of problems with them. No one liked them we run stihl ms 200s now.
JMO John

I have a Husky 346XP that I really like, Niels. Let me know if you want to give it a try. It's a great saw. You can come over and help me take care of a dead elm I've been meaning to cut down. Heck, bring a pickup and go home with a load of wood!

We use a lot of 346s at work and they take one hell of a beating. We use them up in the trees too. I think they are one of the toughest saws made.

I vote for the 346xp as well , awesome saw and light weight , 18" bar is great and 16" is even better when using as a limbing and small tree saw. I run Stihl RS chain on mine and the trees dont have a chance. ;-) I have two , my favorite all around saw.

HI Guys,

Thanks for the response. I believe we got a little off track , because now it is all about the 346xp. I believe you guys that it is a great saw, but when I looked at the specs, it appears to be only marginally lighter than what I have now (2 LB difference). I was mostly interested in the 339xp because it is a full 4 LB lighter than my 359 and that is a significant difference that I would be willing (and probably be able from the missus) to spend the money on. Also, the 346xp is about $400, which is more than I paid for the 359.

I have looked at the MS 200 and that appears to be similar to the 339 in size and wieght and power. I have not seen a 338. Sorry to hear the quality was not there.

I guess what I am looking for is a lighter, smaller saw for on the side for limbing and light cutting here and there. I think even a smaller home owner model from Stihl or Husky will do for my applications. I don't believe I necessarily need a pro model.

Carpniels

PS. Eric, thanks for the offer. No pickup yet, but working on a trailer. I finally have plenty of wood. Also another bass wood tree from a neighbor that must be cut (about 80 ft high and 30 inch across). That will be fun!!!! Thankfully the tree is down so I don't have to cut down. Too dangerous for my experience.

PPS. On one of the arborist websites, they said Husky is building 339XPs because Davey ordered 10,000 of them for his crews. Who is Davey?

I own two 346xp 's , one 359 and one 372XP . Trust me there is a big difference between the 346XP and the 359.
You couldnt imagine how nice the 346xp is until you have run one , The 346xp and 359 are two different animals and dont belong in the same class no matter what the numbers on paper says.

BTW , did you price the MS200 ???

Hi Roo,

Thanks for the post. I will definitely have to see both when I visit the dealer.

I cannot find any prices on the MS200 on the internet, so I don't know. But I have found that the MS200 is an MS200T without the top T handle. Thus light as a top handle saw, but with the normal handle. That is what I want.

It also appears that the 339XP is the 338XP again with a back handle instead of the top handle. Husky must be copying Stihl.

I have to see if I need a new spark plug or an air filter so I have an excuse to go to the dealer :).

Thanks

Carpniels

PS> I might have to take Eric up on his offer to really give one a whirl.

The true beauty of the 346xp won't become apparent until you use it to cut some wood.

I didn't see any trees around your place that the 346 couldn't handle, Niels. Similar to where I'm cutting, and the 346 with a 16-inch bar is my all-around saw. You might be able to trade your 359 in and use a 346 for everything. My old Model 55 is my backup in the unlikely (ha!) event that I get the 346 stuck.

Whaddayathink, Roo?

Davey is a tree removal company. They are in my area, and also Aspludh(maybe spelled wrong) those are the 2 big tree companys in my area. I am not sure if they are up in NY though, but that is who they were probably talking about with the 10k piece order.

carpniels said:
Hi Roo,

Thanks for the post. I will definitely have to see both when I visit the dealer.

I cannot find any prices on the MS200 on the internet, so I don't know. But I have found that the MS200 is an MS200T without the top T handle. Thus light as a top handle saw, but with the normal handle. That is what I want.

It also appears that the 339XP is the 338XP again with a back handle instead of the top handle. Husky must be copying Stihl.

I have to see if I need a new spark plug or an air filter so I have an excuse to go to the dealer :).

Thanks

Carpniels

PS> I might have to take Eric up on his offer to really give one a whirl.

The 2006 price list on the Stihl MS 200 - Ms200t is $510. with a 16" bar.

As for Husqvarna copying Stihl on the top handle saw ...............The top handle saw is designed for Arborist climbing trees , most every chainsaw maker has this design for Arborist.

With a top handle saw you have to be extra carefull of kick back. You'r hands are very close together and a lot of people tend to use them one handed. Which is very,very dangerous. I cant see a 346 being to heavy for you. If it is then I'm not sure what else.

Hi Roo,

Thanks for that price on the MS200. Too much for my budget.

With regards to the top handle: I was talking about Husky now making a top handle saw (338xp) with a back handle (339xp), similar to what Stihl did with the 200 and 200T series.

Earth,

That is the whole reason why I do not want a top handle. Too dangerous for my level of expertise. That is why I liked the MS200 so much: same weight as the top handle model but with a 'normal' back handle.

I do not understand why you think a 346 is too heavy for my. I use a 359 right now for all my cutting (bucking, limbing, etc). and it does get tiresome. The 346 is 2 lb lighter than my 359 which according to some here, is a significant difference. I was just interested in the 339 because it is yet another 2 Lb lighter, which makes it a featherweight by chainsaw standards. Which IMO, makes it ideal as a limbing saw.

But I like the comments (especially Erics) that state that I might be able to replace my 359 with a 346 and I will be all set. My trees are from 10 to 30 inch diameter, thus a 16" bar would do.

Thanks

Carpniels

Status
Not open for further replies.