Husq 162 SE re-doing gas tank / internal coating?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pen

There are some who call me...mod.
Staff member
Aug 2, 2007
N.E. Penna
With the down time, I am bringing back to life a 162 SE I inherited that is in great shape, other than the fuel system. So bad, the fuel line was completely disintegrated and what remained had the texture of a wax ring for a toilet.

Fuel tank was so bad I couldn't identify the fuel filter as the fuel filter, stuck in the bottom. This was last fall. I push some fresh gas in it and let it sit over the winter.

Fresh gas in it sitting for several months softened up the sludge but not enough to remove it. So, I switched over to putting a few ounces of B-12 chemtool in after draining the gas I had placed in it. B-12 broke the sludge down well, but also removed what appears to be paint inside this fuel tank.

I added a handful of BB's to the tank and B-12 and have shaken the poo out of it and have gotten it very clean,,,,,, right down to metal clean.

I've seen other tanks that were just plain metal, but assume husqvarna had some coating in this tank for a reason.

Any suggestions on what to re-coat it with or if I should even bother?

Thanks,

pen

They sell kits for cleaning and epoxy the interior of motorcycle tanks. I don't know where from, but search google.

They sell kits for cleaning and epoxy the interior of motorcycle tanks. I don't know where from, but search google.

I know it well. Por 15 comes to mind. Just wondering if it's necessary, really.

Still haven’t decided if I want to coat the tank or not, but in the meantime, got it so it will throw chips again.

Thanks

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy