Husqvarna 550XP experience

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

planner steve

Burning Hunk
Dec 24, 2014
Northern Idaho
Many of you helped me decide on my new saw, a Husqvarna 550XP. I'm posting to relate my experience with this saw and to help anyone who experienced similar things gets proper recourse.

The short version is I purchased a Husqvarna 550XP and after a few hours it would not start. Took it back to the dealer. The piston was scored. I got a new saw. This happened to THREE saws. Thankfully I have a good dealer and I used Husqvarna's fuel, so I didn't have issues replacing the saws, but needless to say this got old. The final replacement took a month, in which time I think Husqvarna found they had an issue in manufacturing these saws. Crankcase bolts were over torqued and stripped, so after a few hours the bolt rattled loose, air got in where it shouldn’t, the saws ran too lean and scored the piston. Two of the saws had a 2014 serial number, one was 2015.

The most recent saw has run considerably longer than the others. I've cut more firewood than I need just to make sure it doesn't experience the same early mortality. So far so good. I am really impressed with the power of this saw. I mostly work with wood under 12” diameter and it really rips through that stuff. I love the light weight also.

I've seen a few others on this forum and other websites that had the same issue. If you have a similar cc Husqvarna from 2014-15 and haven't had problems, you still might want to ask your dealer about it.

While this was a frustrating experience, I can say that Husqvarna does stand behind their equipment. Hopefully I’ve got “the one” now and will have many happy years.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Good that Husqvarna made you whole but bet you were some kinda frustrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.