Hybrid Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rjgogo

Hearth Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
North Central IL
I did some searches, I read the sticky on this topic but I still can't seem to find what I am looking for

The DW and I have opposing views on the purchase of a fireplace. If it were up to me it would be a closed stove that is very efficient and use the energy to heat the house. The idea for my wife be to have a beautiful open fireplace, with an unrestricted view of the fire.

Looking at those two polar opposites I am sure there is a middle ground. That said a unit that can act both as a heating device and also be used as an open fireplace without one door swinging open on one side.

I seem to have found one model that meets that criteria but given the stern warning in the sticky I am reluctant to mention the name, as there appears to be a problem with pimping by trolls.

Anyway, any advice on a Hybrid that can heat the house and also not heat the house with double open doors would be greatly appreciated.

I know enough to be dangerous on a lot of things, I know enough to fill a thimble on this topic.

thanks, Rob

www.kozyheat.com for their Z42 high efficiency woodburning fireplace
www.lennoxhearthproducts.com (and link from there toSecurity Chimney Co)
for Lennox Montecito Estate/Bis Tradition, and Lennox Montecito/Bis
Tradition CE

Quadrafire 7100 (Hearth and Home Technologies?)
RSF Opel
Travis Fireplace Xtrordinaire

Yes the Quad is by HHT and also you have the Heat & Glo Northstar which is very similar to the 7100. Both can operated with the doors open if you purchase the optional firescreen.

how big is the house? Some of the bigger stoves have a very large viewing window IE Pacific Energy Summit, Englander 30 etc.
Summit has a screen for some models as well the store I bought my summit had one on a stove but I do not remember the model.

Hi.
I have been lurking for quite a while and love the friendly and spirited discussions.

I am in a similar situation we are thinking about replacing a open fireplace with something else in our house.
What me and my wife have been looking for is more on the contemporary side and we have found some cool ones that I think will fit your needs and wants as well

This being my first post I will post any links but you can find allot googling for contemporary wood stove / fireplace or something similar

We have not decide yet and wont until we have found somewhere we can go and look at them in person and also found out what they cost :) .

I have a Fireplace Xtraordinaire. We sometimes run the fireplace with the dorrs open and screen on when it gets too hot inside the house. Be advised that with our unit(and probably all of them) the heat output drops dramatically with the doors open.

http://www.fireplacex.com/

crazy_dan said:
how big is the house? Some of the bigger stoves have a very large viewing window IE Pacific Energy Summit, Englander 30 etc.
Summit has a screen for some models as well the store I bought my summit had one on a stove but I do not remember the model.

The room is not all that large but a portion of it has a vaulted ceiling and then it flow into the kitchen. There is a fireplace there now but the quality of the build is extremely poor and the whole first floor is a bad version of the 70s. It is all coming out.

As far as the viewing area, it needs to be at some times uncovered by glass as a traditional fireplace.

Thanks for the links, I had found the lenox as well as the French Canadian company that makes it for Lenox and it looks pretty good. The others are new and I need to spend some time on their sites. I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

I absolutely love my Kozy Heat Z42. It heats my 3200 sqaure foot house alone. I do live in Alabama so it is not that cold but the thing works great. You can use a 6 inch chimney pipe too. It was easily installed and works really well. Once hot it heats a long time on a single log. The blowers work awesome and force alot of heat into my greatroom. I am glad I picked the one I did. It was 1000 dollars cheaper than the others I was looking at and had the same features. You need to check it out if you are looking for a good factory built fireplace that you can utilize as heating for yhour home.

youngstr said:
I have a Fireplace Xtraordinaire. We sometimes run the fireplace with the dorrs open and screen on when it gets too hot inside the house. Be advised that with our unit(and probably all of them) the heat output drops dramatically with the doors open.

Interesting, that the installation docs and the look of the unit are almost identical to the Lopi Declaration. There must be some sort of re-branding going on there -- anyone know who the real manufacturer is?

sixminus1 said:
youngstr said:

Interesting, that the installation docs and the look of the unit are almost identical to the Lopi Declaration. There must be some sort of re-branding going on there -- anyone know who the real manufacturer is?
Fireplace Xtraordinaire, Lopi and Avalon all are part of Travis Industries.

http://www.travisindustries.com/

If you have any questions about the RSF Opel -- let me know...
I did quite a bit of research on the opel, extroidinair, american energies unit, and teh koxy heat before going with teh opel..
Most of these are all very good options...

Status
Not open for further replies.