I’ve been sharpening chains wrong for 25 years.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Medic21

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2017
Northern Indiana

I hope this isn’t anybody here. If so I’m sorry and stop please.

1) if you need to sharpen every tank stay out of the dirt.

2) if you hand file and your teeth are different lengths from side to side your doing it wrong.

3) if you want to sharpen like this buy plenty of extra chains.

Well produced video, with good camera work. Guy needs to step up his sharpening game.

His whole point about sharpening every tank is to avoid the NEED to sharpen. A lot of us touch up the cutters regularly before they get bad.

Whaaaaat? As stated he sharpens so as to never let the edge dull much. Ive learned a lot from this guy as a landscaper. He runs a large landscaping biz in CT. Firewood and gear is kind of an off season hobby for him, just like me. I'll admit he can sometimes come across a llittle fuddy and old school, but he's a great teacher. I personally use a high end sharpener and just cycle chains through, but to each their own. Don't be hatin on my bro Holden. He's a class act.

That timberline is cool, but is it really worth $125? It doesn't touch up the depth guides. I think I'd rather go with the Stihl multi tool sharpener instead.

I use this. It can grind the rakers but, the time it takes to set it up for each chain in annoying so I just do them manually on a bar in the vise.

035EB6BE-F54F-4706-91D6-F576F303E5B6.jpeg

I love the hydraulic assist.

Reactions: Jazzberry
I got a little Buffalo chain grinder for Christmas. If you are not an expert with a file or other sharpening gadget, $39.00 and 5 minutes or so will make you an expert chain sharpener.

The idea is to keep the factory edge sharp, not waiting until your saw is blowing powder to put a new edge on. So I don't see anything wrong with his tips. just my $0.02.

My new deal is the Stihl/Pferd "2N1" sharpeners plus a cheap pair of calipers. I daresay my results are just as good as my old Granberg jig, and it takes a fraction of the time. Plus you can put the whole rig in your pocket if you want to.

My new deal is the Stihl/Pferd "2N1" sharpeners plus a cheap pair of calipers. I daresay my results are just as good as my old Granberg jig, and it takes a fraction of the time. Plus you can put the whole rig in your pocket if you want to.

How are you utilizing the calipers?