I am having a hard time trying to source log-length hardwood in Southern CT. Is there a shortage right now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I never had trouble with getting free logs in the past years and nowadays searching Facebook and calling my regular suppliers and no one eager to drop the wood. I'm not picky, will take a reasonable amount of junk and dispose of it, and Will take big stuff too. But no one is interested. is that because of the oil price hike or I'm just out of luck?

I’m not sure where in CT you are but I’m in Monroe and this is my second year with a stove. I did notice that as well. Also, now people are trying to sell logs for $100 a cord which seems crazy since dried split wood is still going for $250 a cord. I also don’t understand it cause this wood won’t help anyone this year and who knows what next year will bring.

Saw log length stuff being offered on Facebook Marketplace

I never had trouble with getting free logs in the past years and nowadays searching Facebook and calling my regular suppliers and no one eager to drop the wood. I'm not picky, will take a reasonable amount of junk and dispose of it, and Will take big stuff too. But no one is interested. is that because of the oil price hike or I'm just out of luck?
Saw log length stuff being offered on Facebook Marketplace
I saw it too but, just like other guy says, it’s 100 a cord . If it listed as free , no one bothered to write back.
Do you have fresh link, may be I missed something. I’m willing to pay for gas if it’s far. I’m in Oxford CT

I’m not sure where in CT you are but I’m in Monroe and this is my second year with a stove. I did notice that as well. Also, now people are trying to sell logs for $100 a cord which seems crazy since dried split wood is still going for $250 a cord. I also don’t understand it cause this wood won’t help anyone this year and who knows what next year will bring.
I’m in Oxford, which is heavily wooded area. But no luck so far.

It's been $100 a cord for logs here for a while. Not worth it to me but that's what people are paying.

I remember reading quite a few threads this summer about people getting free tree service etc wood. But this time of year people are thinking about fuel for the winter. It doesn’t matter that the wood is green, people are idiots.

I have a lot of logging going on in my area. I notice that when the guys are done at a site, they always leave behind a pile of logs they don’t want. Some of it looks like decent stuff. You could always look around for places like that.

I’ve gotten a few pickup loads from Fairfield/Westport but you need a truck for that
I don't have a truck but have a 5 by-8 trailer. But I think it's not worth ruining the transmission on my outback. In the future I think it is worth renting the truck from Home Depot or U-Haul.
It's sad to see how much wood people hoard for two-three years, it goes rotten with fungus and moisture, and then decide to get rid of it as:"seasoned firewood" or sell it LOL

Another laugh of the day

I took this pic from a FBM ad recently. Guy had some “seasoned” wood for sale. Looks like it sat on the forest floor for 20 years.

D17681C0-6922-44CE-9625-9603FBED72AD.png

As someone said there was one in Westport but you had to cut and haul. There is one in New Fairfield, not log length, but rounds. listed 3 days ago as Free.