I could use some help identifying this stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HWAG

Nov 17, 2016
CO
I recently moved into a house with this stove:

KIMG0736.jpg

While I have experience heating with wood stoves, this unit is unfamiliar and performs significantly different than anything I've encountered.

When I looked at the place, I was told it was a wood stove. At the time I didn't examine the stove closely.

The firebox is lined with firebrick.

The air intake is on the bottom. (In the following photo, it has the rough profile of an anvil.)

KIMG0742.jpg

The air intake damper control is on the back, and consists of a sheet of metal (center of image), adjusted by a knob (just outside the left side of the image). It appears that there should be a cover over it, so that the draw comes off floor. There is a blower built into the stove (bottom right of image). I tried to clean up the badge on the back, but couldn't pull any information off of it at all.

KIMG0739.jpg

There is no ash grate.

My understanding and experience suggest that wood stoves have air supplies that feed to the top of the firebox, and that coal generally have air supplied from the bottom.

My understanding was that most coal fired stoves have grates and ash pans designed into them.

This stove doesn't seem to meet the criteria of either basic design. (That is, air supply to the bottom but now ash grate.)

The picture resolution is low, but the best that I was able to capture (I'm presently technologically challenged). The house was built around 1900. No one involved in the rental has any definitive information.

I've burned a few fires in it. With the location of the intake, it is easy to get the fire started, but they tend to burn hot and fast. I've used small charges of wood to insure that things do not get out of control.

Apparently, the garage was heated with a coal stove for a long time. There are local coal mines.

The possibility that this might be a coal burner has crossed my mind, and inspired this request for help. I can't think of any other useful information. I would appreciate any guidance that the forum members have to offer.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a wood burner. Old Blaze King? Is there any sort of UL label on the back of the stove?

Reactions: HWAG
I second the Blaze King heritage, Princess model maybe

Reactions: HWAG
Thanks for the guidance (especially considering the low quality of the images).

There's a label on the back above the blower, but it's compromised to the point of being entirely illegible.

From your help, I was able to google 'Blaze King' images, and found a picture of the same model stove.

The decorative ceramic center plate is absent on 'my' example, but otherwise, the stove is recognizable.

The image linked back to a thread in this forum: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/help-identify-old-blaze-king.111219/

The stove appears to be a KT302...

In that thread, there was a link to the old manual.

It didn't tell me anything new, but removed any doubts.

Thank you for your quick responses.

Most helpful.

Having the same problem. I think someone built this stove. I bought it because it's going to be the only source I'm going to have for heat. any help on this stove would be appreciated. My first wood stove.received_1258757164146065.jpeg received_1258762977478817.jpeg received_1258783514143430.jpeg it has a dayton model 4C565A blower on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.