I HATE BUYING WOOD, BUT MAYBE NOT!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MICHAEL H

Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
se indiana
Nothing better to me than a nice day in the woods cutting firewood and just being alone. But. With no help and two little ones at home. It pretty much wipes me out. Plus a cracked disc in my back and another hernia to repair. I have bought some wood for next years pile. Local sawmill cuts blocks. I can usually spilt a block so it gives you an idea of the size of each. Bark is stripped so they are very clean. Now they are cutting red and white oak. I can use this for 2012 season. But with no bark they do season fast. Best part I have loaded my Tundra three times maximun full load. For the whopping price of $64.24 cents. I stacked these loads yesterday. 31 feet long by 5 feet high. Little over a cord. I may have to rethink my time in the woods. I will still cut but this is a great deal. Every piece is white and red oak. So the quality is there for what I consider a good price.

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Are you willing to share your source or is a limited supply situation? I'm in S.W. Ohio and have considered buying some wood since my scrounging time this past year has been a little scarce. I'm looking to stock up for at least the end of next season and after, I should be good till then.

sounds good to me,, i would buy a bigger truck and get a trailer and load that thing like a frieght trian!!! lol

one of the mills around here sells butt ends all de barked and all maple with alittle birch here and there.
only thing is they are all different lengths, you can get a piece 3 - 4 feet long or 6 inches .
dad bought a bunch last year really nice stuff but hard to stack.
150 a cord, best deal going around here. If you dont mind the odd ball sizes

I'd say you are definitely pressing it for 2012 but it could be possible. Sometimes they have the logs sitting around for quite a while even after debarking so it will help some.

Good luck to you on the wood and on that sore back. That part is not fun.

I'd worry about my back more than the wood. Knowing how painful a disc problem can be, buying wood sounds a good idea.

Might be tempted to get some more in, if you do burn it next year, you will then be out buying again for the following year.
2 years supply now will get you a year ahead and mean you will be burning better wood in 2013 :)

You are so right about the back. I'm fighting another round of that myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.