I have an 'idea', but need some meat on the bones

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mothra

Sep 29, 2014
Findlay, Ohio
I purchased an older home a year ago, built in 1895, but for the most part well insulated and with new windows. The home had radiant baseboards but unfortunately, the old lp boiler quit this previous winter and froze out the system. (i wasn't living in the home at that point, not planning on moving in until june/july '17). So my plans are as follows: I am excavating and repouring the basement which i plan on laying 1/2" pex-al-pex in the slab and also adding an 800 sq ft addition. I would also like to keep a radiant baseboard system, as no duct work exists, and had been looking into Buderus panels for retro-fitting the heating system. I had calculated the home needed ~ 95btu/hr at 70T before the addition and basement repour. It is a two story house in NW Ohio and as I grew up burning wood, i would like to heat my house in the same manner. My initial thoughts would be, after thoroughly reading this site, would be an indoor gassifer in an outdoor building, but my storage in the basement. Is it possible to run the radiant in-slab heat in the basement (~2100sqft) and the btu needs for the rest of the house from a single boiler in parallel? If so, what boiler(s) would you recommend and why? Or thoughts on this heating system as a whole?

Probably best to talk with the manufacturer directly as they would know the capability of their systems...

I would get a final heat loss calculation done first, I would say that your plan sounds solid. They're a few good choices out there for indoor boilers all depends on your budget.. I think they run from 5 to 12 grand. I just installed a froling 40/50 about a month ago and I'm very happy with it so far, very user friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.