I have an O.A.K. question........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Motor7

Feeling the Heat
Nov 10, 2009
East TN.
Since it's down around 10F this AM, I can walk around the house and find the air leaks easily. The main culprit is the front door which I built out of 2" Hickory. Once it was up it began to warp slightly making it had to maintain a tight seal I can feel the cold air rushing inbound.

So in addition to re-sealing the door it has me thinking about an OAK. They no longer make the oak kit for my stove and I am not too familiar with them, so would it hook to the secondary tube, the primary or both? The bi-metallic coil controls a flapper on the primary, so I see no way to hook that up properly. My stove runs completely on secondary air once temps reach the low 300's, so I am assuming I can pipe directly to the secondary and make a shut off on the outside wall for off season and emergency's.
Am i thinking correctly?

Not sure what to tell you. After going thru the H-I & H-II install manual, I couldn't even FIND an OAK as an OPTION for those older Hearthstone units. Common sense tells me that if you don't make the attachment to BOTH intakes, it won't stop the air leaks in your home, but I can't tell you how to make those attachments...

You're right, I am not sure they ever made one either, I might have been thinking about my old Heritage. The secondary would be real easy, just poke a pipe into the 1" secondary intake pipe(it's a straight shot into the firebox). I think I would run it up the wall 8' then out through a log instead of drilling through the 12" concrete filled block wall with 2" of high density insulation on it. Another beneficial thing is that a long run inside the basement next to the flue will pre-heat the incoming air. I think I am going to try it using 3/4 or 1" EMT since I have a bender for it. If it does not work all I have to do is pull the EMT & plug the hole in the cedar log with a cedar plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.