I have made Fire!!!! Englander 30 "First Fire"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
First I would like to thank Brother Bart, Corie, and everyone else on this fantastic forum.

I bought an Englander 30 from overstockstove.com, a 6" Simpson Dura-vent flex kit and had a 16 gauge block-off plate fabricated at a local shop.The block-off plate is just above the stove and should keep the BTU's in the house. Did all the install myself. Worst part was putting in the block-off plate as it was tight and I used a 2 ton car jack to slowly ease it in with some lumber assisting.

Englander 30 $799
Simpson kit $340
16 gauge block-off plate $ 65
3 tubes of 800 degree silicone $ 15
dial-a-temp $ 19
Blower $150

Not hearing the furnace kick on for the hour you were curing the paint............PRICELESS!!!!

I used a small amount of kindling for this first fire and I can tell the stove is going to be a performer. But it does smell, whoooeeee! going to let it cool to room temp. and fire it up again for some real heat.

The draw is great and its nice to have efficient heat from the fire place area which is in the center of the house. Bye Bye large natural gas bill!!!

Thank you so much Folks, Hiram Maxim

Attachments

• I have made Fire!!!! Englander 30 "First Fire"
    first fire 001.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 744
  • I have made Fire!!!! Englander 30 "First Fire"
    first fire 003.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 646
First I would like to thank Brother Bart, Corie, and everyone else on the fantastic form.
Are you refering to the Hearth.com Fantastic Four or the fantastic forum? ;-) Congratulations on the first fire! Wow! when you get all that stone work warmed up you're going to get some great residual heat too.!!

Looking good my man! That stove was born to sit in that fireplace. I think you forgot to put the cost of the blower on your tally.

BrotherBart said:
Looking good my man! That stove was born to sit in that fireplace. I think you forgot to put the cost of the blower on your tally.

Yes Sir, I forgot the blower in the price!

At what temp does it kick on?

Seriously thanks for your help........especially your note about the 6" legs. That could have been a real nightmare.

Now if this damn thing would cool off so I can do some real heating....LOL

Hiram Maxim

jpl1nh said:
First I would like to thank Brother Bart, Corie, and everyone else on the fantastic form.
Are you refering to the Hearth.com Fantastic Four or the fantastic forum? ;-) Congratulations on the first fire! Wow! when you get all that stone work warmed up you're going to get some great residual heat too.!!

When I was using the fireplace the stone would still be warm 10 hours after the fire went out!! So happy about this purchase!!!

Thank you, Hiram Maxim

Way to go Hiram. You're going to be toasty warm by tomorrow. Enjoy the heat!

Hiram Maxim said:

Want it to turn the blower on and off automatically, one more trip to Northline Express and search for "Stove Stat".

Works great. I have my second on my 30. The first one finally fried on the old stove after 18 years.

BrotherBart said:
Hiram Maxim said:

Want it to turn the blower on and off automatically, one more trip to Northline Express and search for "Stove Stat".

Works great. I have my second on my 30. The first one finally fried on the old stove after 18 years.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Oh!!!
You know I'm going to need that.....My furnace is set at 70 and for some reason its 78 in here?? LOL

I can tell already that this stove is the cats meow.
I'm using 3 year seasoned ash and the coals are huge and the heat is just amazing even after 6 hrs of burn time. Even with the draft closed it burns real nice.

One thing I have noticed is the blower runs a little funny when the Dial-A-Temp is in the medium range.

once again thank you Brother Bart

Looks great. In the spring I would take that stove out, clean up the firebrick in the fireplace and paint it all with hight temp black paint. That stove would look really sweet against it.

Michael6268 said:
Looks great. In the spring I would take that stove out, clean up the firebrick in the fireplace and paint it all with hight temp black paint. That stove would look really sweet against it.

Michael,

Thats a good idea!

Thank you,Hiram

Hiram Maxim said:
Michael6268 said:

Michael,

Thats a good idea!

Thank you,Hiram

Works well. Sorry I didn't mention it before. Can't think of everything ya know? Wear a respirator. I think I lost five years painting that thing.

I love seeing the threads about folks who are happy with their 30-NC. I'm still working on my install bit by bit and can't wait to get my 30 going.

-SF

stoveguy2esw said:
nice!! welcome to the sw family hiram, glad to see you are enjoying our stove

Mike,

This stove just rocks! I'm falling in love with it.

Had 3 splits go 10 hours last night while out with the Boys and it would have lasted longer but I had to fill it before going to bed.

My house is 2116 sq ft and the temp inside has been 72-79 degrees with outside temps going in the mid 20's at night.

I love the fact that my furnace sits idol.

Thank you, Hiram Maxim

Status
Not open for further replies.