I love burning wood in my boiler but.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muleman51

Feb 18, 2008
SE Minnesota
I love burning wood in my boiler but my time, body(back) and work keep telling me maybe I should switch back to gas. I currently have propane but can get hooked to Ng for $6600. I don't like the cost but for the long haul may be cheaper and if I get more wood and time I can always suplement with wood. Any recomendations on a good High efficiency boiler. Or am I just nuts? Thanks for your comments. Jim

I think $6,600 is a lot for NG. but a boiler is 10K. at a minimum. If you can work a little extra at work instead of cutting wood you are money ahead, even at $10 an hr. Wood id so time consuming and labor intensive that it is not worth it unless the wood is plentiful and free. I wish I never would have gotten my gassifier. It will take at least 6-8 yrs to pay it off. I could have just worked an hr a week more instead of splitting wood and been further ahead and I wouldn't have to go outside in the blowing wind at 9 PM , 7 Am, and $ PM. to load the stove. I'm sick of it. Next year is my 6th year and most likely paid off. I will burn only in Dec- March. It aint worth it in the shoulder months.

If I could get hooked up to natural gas, I would. You have alll the pipes for the distribution system, so I don't think it should cost 10,000.

If I could get hooked up to natural gas, I would. You have alll the pipes for the distribution system, so I don't think it should cost 10,000.
$6600 is to get the gas to me. I have a good furnace that can be convertedto NG. I will need a NG boiler to pick up the old boiler zones. After cutting wood for 43 years, I am getting tired.I always can burn weekends. I will just have to put freeze guard in my system since my boiler is outside. I agree it is easier to work overtime than to be cutting wood hand to mouth all the time.

Wood id so time consuming and labor intensive that it is not worth it unless the wood is plentiful and free. I wish I never would have gotten my gassifier.
Reason no.1 for going wood stove(s) vs boiler, in my book. I heat with two stoves, and keeping them supplied and fed is work, no doubt, but I do enjoy watching the fire from my armchair.

Status
Not open for further replies.