I need a new winch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

martel

Feb 9, 2006
All right, bring on the new wench jokes... Then help me out.
I am looking for a new winch to pull my 4X8' trailer up a rise in the backyard up to where I am going to stack my wood. Looking for something with at least a 50' line. I've used a couple ATV units rated at 2500. One from Harbor Freight and one from Walmart online, I think. Both were fine little winches, but two things: First, they're both really slow. Maybe this is the nature of winching, but can I get something that is faster? Most don't look rated for winching speed. Second, I've tried both mounting on the trailer and the anchor but I keep getting bunching on one side of the spool since I am doing a long run. I even tried running through an eyebolt on the trailer to keep it near the center of the winch's spool.

Happy for any advice. I don't want to break the bank. Reversible is pretty important so I can lower it back down the slope.

Slow is the nature of winching. That said I really like my gas powered Simpson Capstan winch powered by a Honda engine. Its "different" than a normal winch but far more useful for my purposes.

Slow is the nature of winching. That said I really like my gas powered Simpson Capstan winch powered by a Honda engine. Its "different" than a normal winch but far more useful for my purposes.

Thanks! And yeah... slow and steady. I know there are faster ones out there than what I have. That Simpson winch looks great. Spendier than what I want for this application. It does make me wonder what I can create out of an extra Briggs-Stratton sitting in my basement. Thanks again for taking the time.

Block and tackle with a real long rope and you can pull by driving your truck away. I’d be afraid of the trailer tongue digging in.

Reactions: martel
Block and tackle with a real long rope and you can pull by driving your truck away. I’d be afraid of the trailer tongue digging in.
Yeah. I don't have that kind of room. I'm one of those rust belt urban burners. I thought a winch would be great, but it really so damn slow. I saw a couple at HF today that claimed 13 fpm. When I looked deeper at the specs, it would be under 4 feet per minute. I guess I could put my feet up and just let it roll.

Still the spooling issue. Is there a way to make sure the winch is spooling evenly?

I don't think you will find a fast winch, and has auto wind, that is any kind of affordable...

Just like any winch you have to guide the line onto the spool so it will wrap properly.. Most people when they are stuck are only doing 10ft of line or so and when they get home they respool to keep it neat.. You will not find a winch that is fast unless you go into a industrial winch, the faster the winch the less pulling power it has..

All right, bring on the new wench jokes... Then help me out.
I am looking for a new winch to pull my 4X8' trailer up a rise in the backyard up to where I am going to stack my wood. Looking for something with at least a 50' line. I've used a couple ATV units rated at 2500. One from Harbor Freight and one from Walmart online, I think. Both were fine little winches, but two things: First, they're both really slow. Maybe this is the nature of winching, but can I get something that is faster? Most don't look rated for winching speed. Second, I've tried both mounting on the trailer and the anchor but I keep getting bunching on one side of the spool since I am doing a long run. I even tried running through an eyebolt on the trailer to keep it near the center of the winch's spool.

Happy for any advice. I don't want to break the bank. Reversible is pretty important so I can lower it back down the slope.
I hired an Russian immigrant and he finished the stacking of 2 tons of compressed wood blocks in two half days.