I need a site or way to properly size my primary and storage circ.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to know any way I could properly size for my circs to have the proper flow rate for heat transfer. We have 1000gal of storage and 4' away is the econoburn 200 if that would make a difference or is there a general flow rate for heat transfer in a system.

There is a sticky note at the beginning of the blog that addresses the sizing of circ pumps and the Btus vs the flow rates. Good luck with your project.

Check the "Tidbits" sticky, I had a mention in that of a Taco technical paper that does a really good job of walking you through all the math of sizing pipes, circs, etc... You will need to have a good idea of your heating demand load, but that is something you should have in any case.

Gooserider

If it were me, my main concern would be to move all of the Econoburn 200 output to storage with minimal idling. I don't know what the size of the 200's supply and return fittings are, but I would assume at least 1-1/2", and iron pipe is spec'd at 25 gpm maximum (1-1/4" iron pipe is spec'd at 17 gpm maximum). I also would:
1) assume average output on the high side at 80% of advertised rating; 200,000 btu advertised; high side average output 160,000 btu (go higher if you want)
2) assume delta-T = 20 (return from tank to boiler at 160F, boiler to tank at 180F)
3) gpm's needed to move are: 160,000 / 500 / 20 = 16 gpm
4) calculate pump head with the plumbing and fittings you have, round trip, between the boiler and the tank (assume pump head for 1-1/2" iron pipe at 30' equivalent = less than 1' of head) Pump Head
5) pick the circ that meets this flow at 1' of head at as close to the the middle of the pump curve as you can get

Then, size the balance of the system drawing from storage, or otherwise, using the info provide in the posts above.

As delta-T becomes much less than 20, gpm's increase to move the required btu. For example, at delta-T=10 and 160,000 btu's, you will need to move 32 gpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.