I need help wiring my system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timberbuilt

Hearth Supporter
Oct 10, 2009
Montana
Probably a dumb question but here goes:

I have a 6 zone Taco zone control controlling multiple zones using Taco circulators. 120 volt coming into the zone control, 24 volt coming out of the zone control. How are the circulators wired? My understanding is they need 120 volt to operate, but how does the zone control operate them on 24 volt? Does each circulator need 24 volt controls coming in and 120 volt supply? What am I missing here?

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

There is a 120 volt feed to the control wired to n & p the control has a transformer that makes 24 volts which is what goes out to each tstat. The 24 volt signal comes back from each tstat which energizes a relay and turns on 120 volt power to the corresponding circulator, and closes an end switch at terminals x & x. All of the terminals at the top of the box are 24 volt to go out to the tstats. All of the terminals at the bottom are 120 except x&x which have no power and are just the end switch that closes when any zone calls for heat. Hope this helps.

The 120 volt feeds the a the relay bank, 120 volt also feeds the 24 volt transformer. So the 24 volts energizes the relay (controlled by a thermostat or some other input device). When the relay closes 120 volt now is switched "on" . You will notice that there is a wire leaving the Taco box going to each circ. pump. These are your 120 volt circuits. Basically the relays are switches that turn off and on the 120 volt loads. The relays are controlled by the 24 volt input device.

Does that make any sense?

It seems like I may have discovered another answer to my quesiton. I have a ZVC406, which is a "Zone Control" output is 24volt. I need a SR506, "Switching Relay" which has 120volt output. Is there anyway around ordering another control box? Some way that I can use the ZVC406 with circualtors? So close, yet so far away...

I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to add another circ pump, do you have a bad relay, what are you trying achieve?

Sorry, a little background info:
I am installing a wood gun on a new house. I have 90% of system completed. I have 6 zones built into my manifold with circulator pumps on each zone. I was told I needed a zone control box to control each zone. I did not know there was a difference between a "zone control box" and a "switch relay box". I purchased and installed the ZVC406 "zone control", which aparently outputs 24 volt AC. I believe I need 120volt AC to run the circulator pumps on each zone. I think I need to go back and now buy a SR506 "Switch Relay" which outputs 120volt. I have probably already come to the conclusion of having to buy a new control box but I was hoping you guys would have an alternative or perhaps at least confirm my conclusion.

Yup bring it back and get an sr506. That's what iassumed you had. The zvc is for a zone valve system.

agree with sgrenier35...

Sorry I didn't pick up on the fact you had a zone control box and not a circ. pump controller quicker... There is a way to make what you have work but you would be building your own relay bank so it probably does not make sense to do that unless you can not get a refund for your ZC box...

Status
Not open for further replies.