I need help with my 20 year old Dutchwest?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

C. Hayes

Feb 9, 2021
Alaska
This wood stove is maintained yearly. After a sloppy inspection/ cleaning each time the stove is lit and
going, when the door is opened to add more wood...lots of smoke freely escapes and fill our
home! Please help me isolate what may have gone wrong, and what to do to fix it. Thank You.

C. Hayes

You will get better advice if you mention the model, post pics of your stove pipe and chimney configuration etc.

But, barring that, was the chimney inspected for a partial blockage? If you have a catalyst, is the bypass working (opening and closing) properly? Any changes to the air tightness of your house? Any new fans/dryer running?

You will get better advice if you mention the model, post pics of your stove pipe and chimney configuration etc.

But, barring that, was the chimney inspected for a partial blockage? If you have a catalyst, is the bypass working (opening and closing) properly? Any changes to the air tightness of your house? Any new fans/dryer running?
Thank you for responding. The stove is a Dutchwest, Convection Heater wood stove, model 2460. Age 21 years. The inspection was its yearly cleaning. I have read many articles regarding fans, clothes dryers, etc...but this is the first winter season that the smoke
is exiting into the house, after initial start and when placing dry clean spruce or birch. Im thinking the Chimney company that cleaned it, maybe loosened the tightness of the stove pipe? But after close attention its difficult to tell? Noticeable is smoke that is coming into a nearby bathroom via the bathroom's vent/fan. The house does have a HR Vac system throughout and was built as energy rated, in other words the house is tight to retain warmth. Any ideas, or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
NOTE: the catalyst is non operation.
C. Hayes

Thank you for responding. The stove is a Dutchwest, Convection Heater wood stove, model 2460. Age 21 years. The inspection was its yearly cleaning. I have read many articles regarding fans, clothes dryers, etc...but this is the first winter season that the smoke
is exiting into the house, after initial start and when placing dry clean spruce or birch. Im thinking the Chimney company that cleaned it, maybe loosened the tightness of the stove pipe? But after close attention its difficult to tell? Noticeable is smoke that is coming into a nearby bathroom via the bathroom's vent/fan. The house does have a HR Vac system throughout and was built as energy rated, in other words the house is tight to retain warmth. Any ideas, or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
NOTE: the catalyst is non operation.
C. Hayes

If there is proper draft, some (small) leak should not get you to spill smoke I think.
As you are in a tight home, small changes w.r.t. make-up-air within the last year could make this problem appear.
Does it resolve if you have cracked a window when you reload? (That'd suggest "too tight" a home, or some other appliance pushing out air in a home that has trouble providing enough fresh air to what goes thru the stove.)

Is your wood dry (as measured in the middle on a freshly split room temp. piece)? (Asking b/c wet wood could quickly give partial blockages.)
Is the space where the cat sits clean (and not filled up with gunk from the sweep)?
Can you see your chimney cap (with binoculars)?

(I do hope someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in. @begreen, @moresnow @kennyp2339 ?)

Last edited:
If there is proper draft, some (small) leak should not get you to spill smoke I think.
As you are in a tight home, small changes w.r.t. make-up-air within the last year could make this problem appear.
Does it resolve if you have cracked a window when you reload? (That'd suggest "too tight" a home, or some other appliance pushing out air in a home that has trouble providing enough fresh air to what goes thru the stove.)

Is your wood dry (as measured in the middle on a freshly split room temp. piece)? (Asking b/c wet wood could quickly give partial blockages.)
Is the space where the cat sits clean (and not filled up with gunk from the sweep)?
Can you see your chimney cap (with binoculars)?

(I do hope someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in. @begreen, @moresnow @kennyp2339 ?)
Thank you for your reply and inquiry. Everything seems to check out, and you mentioned some excellent investigating considerations. I will have to be a bit more observant. All for now. Thanks, again.
C. H.