I need help with my "feeder rate" on my St. Croix.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatherof2

Aug 12, 2014
Massachusetts
Hi Gang,

Here is my issue. When my stove is running, I get real nice flame going and then the feeder drops in pellets that knock the flame down quite a bit. The flame builds back up nicely and then the same thing happens. I feel like it would be more efficient if I could slow the feed rate down. Not sure how to do that.

I have a St. Croix that is an older Prescott model. The back plate says EX on it, but the EX is scratched into the plate. It is not stamped in.

The online manual shows a different control panel than what I have on my stove. (It is the manual for their newest stove.) I contacted St. Croix and they emailed me a manual for a stove that seems to be much older than mine. I guess I am somewhere in the middle.

Here is a picture of my control panel:

Here are the instructions on how to adjust the feeder rate from the manual that is for a newer model. This method does nothing on my stove.

To adjust the Feed-rates:

Hold the Auger Feed Button down and press the Heat Level High/Low button and this will

change the ON Time up or down .25 seconds from the factory setting. Watch the LED lights

to see the setting is on (it will flash the new setting). This new setting will stay in memory

from this point on. The LED lights indicate the level of adjustment and the factory setting is

the center LED light. This gives two .25 second adjustments up and two .25 second

adjustments down.

This is a picture of their late model control panels:

upload_2014-11-2_9-18-30.png

They look pretty similar.

So my questions are:

1. Should my fire die down that much when pellets drop in?

2. How do I adjust my feed rate?

3. I am only using the "Manual" setting. (I assume I can still adjust the feed rate on the manual setting.)

Thanks for any input!

On my Afton Bay, about 7 years old, but with the digital control like yours - I can only control the fan and auger rates at heat level #1. The rest are fixed, except for a jumper that's on the control board that changes the cycle times.

The fire will die down a bit when pellets are added - just like dropping a couple of logs on a fire - until the new pellets catch fire.

I never touch the feed rate on my St Croix. I only adjust the heat level up and down as needed and let it run in thermostat.

Guys,

Thanks for your input.

Turns out that my control board was discontinued.

They make a newer one that allows the user to fine tune he feed rate. It costs 250 bucks! I will be sticking with what I have.

For future references, the new control board is part # 80P30523-R

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.