i think i might of screwed up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgt2x

Oct 28, 2014
long island
Did a clean out on my new harman advance ran great before I think I might of hit or disturbed the esp .before I was able to touch the stove now the stove gets real hot. Is it possible that I hit,broke esp sensor if so do I need replace the esp

:( Probably

How do you think you broke your ESP? Can you pull it out and check for damage? They are somewhat delicate but not eggshells. Did you hit it real good with the rod on a brush or what? Details. Did you unplug your stove when you went cleaning and tinkering? Details????????

How long after your refire did you notice the stove get hot? Might be the stove is just trying to catch up and will settle after a few hours.

Reactions: bogieb
I take it the ESP probe is actually a Lambda sensor with a fancy name.....?

I take it the ESP probe is actually a Lambda sensor with a fancy name.....?
ESP to my knowledge doesn't sense oxygen just temp. But then I've been wrong before !

I cleaned it with the brush up the exhaust .and I noticed the sensor was a little lower after the brushing .I filled the hopper and it fired up. Noticed it was much hotter to the touch in the morning tried to be gentle but I am like a bull in China shop

From my experience my stove will be a lot hotter after a good clean. Here's why. Once all of the ash build up, which does a good insulating job, is cleaned off the exchanger more heat can and does radiate and blow hotter. I hit it with my IR temp gun and it was 200 degrees hotter after it was cleaned one time it was caked up well. Is this what you are speaking of possibly when you refer to hotter?

Do you have something to get some temps at some places to see? You could have damaged the ESP with a brush possibly but if your stove is operating right but slightly hotter it could be because it is clean and happy too. Is the stove operating correctly and just burning hotter? Define hotter. You might have just bent the ESP slightly. Take it out when you send a brush in the exhaust. Makes cleaning very easy without worry. Comes out by undoing one 1/4" screw and pulls right out. You can then inspect it and wipe it clean. Even if it was slightly bent it can still be good I would say. A stove as new as yours having a bad ESP is unlikely but things do break.

When you do a clean like that unplug your stove just as a safety measure and to keep from damaging parts by possibly shorting them out also. Also if it isn't broken then don't fix it tinkering around until you are comfortable and have a good understanding. That's just cheap insurance.

The ESP on my stove seems to be the same as the thermistor on my Woodmaster OWB. All it is is a temperature sensing probe. The Harman's ESP senses exhaust temps while the Woodmaster's thermistor senses the water jacket temp. I would almost have to intentionally try to damage either. Not saying it can't be done banging around a bit but they are simply not super fragile from what I have had my hands on. Sure they can get beat up but it would take some effort. Did you beat it up pretty good ram rodding the cleaning brush? If it's bent for sure maybe try to gently straighten it. I'd say the exhaust temp would be fairly consistent throughout the path but if it is laying low hotter temps do rise also and it could be getting a poor reading because of it's new lower vent brush influence location. ??????

Can you take off the exhaust cover plate and post a picture of it?

From my experience my stove will be a lot hotter after a good clean. Here's why. Once all of the ash build up, which does a good insulatingh job, is cleaned off the exchanger more heat can and does radiate and blow hotter. I hit it with my IR temp gun and it was 200 degrees hotter after it was cleaned one time it was caked up well. Is this what you are speaking of possibly when you refer to hotter?

Do you have something to get some temps at some places to see? You could have damaged the ESP with a brush possibly but if your stove is operating right but slightly hotter it could be because it is clean and happy too. Is the stove operating correctly and just burning hotter? Define hotter. You might have just bent the ESP slightly. Take it out when you send a brush in the exhaust. Makes cleaning very easy without worry. Comes out by undoing one 1/4" screw and pulls right out. You can then inspect it and wipe it clean. Even if it was slightly bent it can still be good I would say. A stove as new as yours having a bad ESP is unlikely but things do break.

When you do a clean like that unplug your stove just as a safety measure and to keep from damaging parts by possibly shorting them out also. Also if it isn't broken then don't fix it tinkering around until you are comfortable and have a good understanding. That's just cheap insurance.

The ESP on my stove seems to be the same as the thermistor on my Woodmaster OWB. All it is is a temperature sensing probe. The Harman's ESP senses exhaust temps while the Woodmaster's thermistor senses the water jacket temp. I would almost have to intentionally try to damage either. Not saying it can't be done banging around a bit but they are simply not super fragile from what I have had my hands on. Sure they can get beat up but it would take some effort. Did you beat it up pretty good ram rodding the cleaning brush? If it's bent for sure maybe try to gently straighten it. I'd say the exhaust temp would be fairly consistent throughout the path but if it is laying low hotter temps do rise also and it could be getting a poor reading because of it's new lower vent brush influence location. ??????

Can you take off the exhaust cover plate and post a picture of it?
I use a Bristled bottle washing brush to clean the ESP//
Easy back/forth motion..Not goin anywhere. Always shiny when I'm done.
It's really not the fragile piece of equipment that it's made out to be..
btw: I have a corner install so this way is easier for me. I'll get around to pulling it out one of these days..

Stove is too hot to touch where before I could put and hold my hand on it very hot in the hopper also just shut er down gonna inspect it when cool. Thanks for the help

I do the same for a quick clean when I don't pull it. Similar to a bottle brush and also use a soft bristle parts cleaning brush with a long handle. That's where I was heading with the damaging it. It would have to be a pretty good shot. Possibly the OP rammed the vent brush in good and forgot about the ESP in there. ?? I could see that happening during a temporary brain fart just thinking of cleaning the vent pipe only.

sgt2x,
My stove is always too hot to put my hand on the top, sides, and many places. It gets very hot all around the fire box. Not sure if the Advance radiates a lot of heat or does more so with the Distribution blower. Good luck!

when she cool I will take some pics and try to remove the sensor clean it up and reinstall Will keep up dated

You should be able to tell if it's bent pretty easily.

when she cool I will take some pics and try to remove the sensor clean it up and reinstall Will keep up dated
The sensor is either ruined or it isn't, there is no fixing it up if it's ruined. If it's bent or otherwise messed up then you need a new one.

sgt2x,
My stove is always too hot to put my hand on the top, sides, and many places. It gets very hot all around the fire box. Not sure if the Advance radiates a lot of heat or does more so with the Distribution blower. Good luck!
Our p series stoves get hot and give off a fair amount of radiant heat as well as convection. I know in a good hot burn a splash of a drop of water on the top will sizzle. A lot of cast stoves are not that way. I know the Accentra insert for instance stays pretty cool to the touch by comparison.. The XXV gets warm to the touch and that's about it. Those stoves are all about convection heat.

If the OP's stove is now getting hot and it did not before then one would think it chewed more pellets than normal. If not then I wonder if the convection fan is getting up to speed. If that is not getting up to speed this may have nothing to do with the ESP.

Well I feel like an idiot when she cooled down I checked the esp brushed it off fired up the stove same result.I noticed the. the leads off the thermostat thanks for all your help I guess the stove wasn't able to throttle down at the temperature it was set at. Rookie mistake. Lol

Well I feel like an idiot when she cooled down I checked the esp brushed it off fired up the stove same result.I noticed the. the leads off the thermostat thanks for all your help I guess the stove wasn't able to throttle down at the temperature it was set at. Rookie mistake. Lol
So your Room temp Probe was disconnected ? Is that what you are saying ?

That is interesting that it wouldn't throttle down. I had someone filling the hopper and taking care of my cats during Christmas (off to KS seeing family - it was colder there than at home during the time - yeah, I have real good luck), he managed to yank the leads mostly off the back of the stove, and somehow never noticed. The stove just went to idle since it was unsure what it was supposed to do. that was in room temp, auto.

Glad you figured out your issue!

Yes room probe was disconnected. I plugged it back in now it's fine. I feel like an idiot lol

Supposed to throw a 4 blink code.

Supposed to throw a 4 blink code.

Mine never did - it took me a while to figure out what my issue was when I got home from vacation, I thought it just needed cleaning (which I did) and then different pellets (which I did), before it dawned on me that it wasn't trying to do any firing up at all just staying at the same low flame (knew why it wasn't shutting down since the basement was in the low 60's and temp set at 72). that is when the light bulb went off and I checked the leads.

I know how the guy dislodged the leads, by moving a step stool away from the stove, just have no idea how he didn't know he had caught the leads and yanked them out - especially after I cautioned him on making sure he didn't catch the cable. Oh wait, I'm sure he knew, just didn't care.

Mine never did - it took me a while to figure out what my issue was when I got home from vacation, I thought it just needed cleaning (which I did) and then different pellets (which I did), before it dawned on me that it wasn't trying to do any firing up at all just staying at the same low flame (knew why it wasn't shutting down since the basement was in the low 60's and temp set at 72). that is when the light bulb went off and I checked the leads.

I know how the guy dislodged the leads, by moving a step stool away from the stove, just have no idea how he didn't know he had caught the leads and yanked them out - especially after I cautioned him on making sure he didn't catch the cable. Oh wait, I'm sure he knew, just didn't care.
Well the house didn't freeze and probably saved some fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.