I think Winter is here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Yesterday we managed to plow through a complete cleaning of the big Whitfield.

Restarted the fire at about 9:30 am, and then left around 10 am for the day.

Last night was cool with temps in the mid 30's, this morning I got up around 5:30 am and immediately noticed that the house was not toasty.

Fired off the little Whit and took care of the issue.

This is the first time this seaon that we have had two stoves lit up.

The big Whit puts out a bit less heat right after a full cleaning, and has always been this way.

Due to a far greater flow of air through the pot, causing the shells to burn fast and leave the pot nearly empty between drops.

If I run on the number 2 setting this wont happen, but then it gets things too hot.

Better to run on low and just add the second stove when needed me thinks.

The overall calibration of the stove when using the shells is ok, not perfect, but quite acceptable.

The only real caviat is that the ash content is about double of pellets.

Lots of fly ash due to the amount of fines in the stuff, but for the price, it is quite ok by me.

Here are some piccy's shot a few minutes ago of the big whit doing its thing.

As you can see, the fire is very small, barely over the edge of the fire pot.

Attachments

• Whit1.JPG
    Whit1.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Whit2.JPG
    Whit2.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Whit3.JPG
    Whit3.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Whit4.JPG
    Whit4.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Whit5.JPG
    Whit5.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 115
Stay warm my friend.

Where you get your shells from? Price?

Snowy your a women right?....what does your husband/BF or GF think of your knowledge of pellet stoves?

We buy our shells from a local hazellnut shelling plant about 5 miles away.
Costs about 1-1/2 cents per pound.
This equates to about 66 cents a day to heat the house. (not counting the electricity for the stove)

My spouse is happy with my handling the stove stuff. Yess I am a female. I don't often claim the title, lady though.

That is all subjective of course. :)

Pretty much a tomboy though, not much of a fem.

Here is a rare piccy of me when I had to dress like a lady ??????

Rather be in jeans and T shirt though. Up to my elbows in a pellet stove maybe :eek:

Been married coming up 32 years in March.
One daughter, too many cars, trucks and toys to count. 7 pellet stoves ( and counting)

Attachments

• Missy.JPG
    Missy.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: Danny Cathcart
Thanks for the pics and the info Snowy! I'd say your hubby is a lucky man! The wife and I will also be married 32 years in March. On the 5th if I remember correctly ==c. We burn two pellet stoves almost all the time during the heating season to keep our big, old farmhouse warm and they work very well! Stay warm!

Status
Not open for further replies.