I want to use my old vigilant for coal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

filix

Mar 30, 2018
maine
Hello forum. I have an old vigilant. It came with the house.I have been burning wood in it for 8 years. Works good. The original owner told me he burnt coal in that stove for many years. H said it heated the whole house. I would like to try coal. The stove has glass in the doors. It has 1977 under the shell inside. I looked on the side and that little hole with the metal cover is oval. So mine is the vigilant 11 ? He told me to look in the barn, the grate should be up there. I haven't found it yet. Could I just get another grate and start using coal? Thanks. Filix.

You can buy another grate set-up for it, but all the bits and parts you need will will be expensive. You'd do better to find the originals. Can you ask the original ower where they might be in the barn? If you post pictures of your stove it would help identify it. Also, if you are interested in burning coal in that stove you may wish to go visit Nepa crossroads. They've recently upgraded their web site, so the new address is:

https://coalpail.com/coal-forum/

There are a number of very knowledgeable folk on there that know about your stove and burning coal.

dj

I wanted to still use it for wood, plus be able to use some coal. I thought I could just put in a removable grate, buy a few bags of coal and see how it works. I didn't realize I would have to put in fire brick, ash pan ect...filix

What would happen if I put in a temporary grate and put two pieces of coal on it. Just for yuks? The worst thing that could happen is they don't burn? I don't mean to be a pain. My brother has a Harman coal stove. It will drive you right out of there. filix

What would happen if I put in a temporary grate and put two pieces of coal on it. Just for yuks? The worst thing that could happen is they don't burn? I don't mean to be a pain. My brother has a Harman coal stove. It will drive you right out of there. filix
No the worst thing that could happen burning coal in a stove not meant for it is the coal sits there barely burning not making enough heat to maintain draft. In that case the CO produced will leak into the house and put you to sleep for good. It is not something to mess around with.

Last edited by a moderator: