I wonder why?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USMC80

Minister of Fire
Mar 27, 2013
New Jersey
Bored at work so I was reading my manual online for the Hampton HI300. I found these two paragraphs interesting. Why would it say not to run fan with air fully closed? Also about not turning the fan on after a reload for 30 minutes.

I do both of those things and no problems

The fan is to be operated only with the draft
control rod pulled out at least 1/2" from the
fully closed position. The fan is not to be
operated when the draft control rod is in the
closed position (pushed in). The fully closed
position is the low burn setting.

The fan unit must not be turned on until a fire
has been burning for at least 30 minutes and
the unit is hot enough. As well, after each fuel
loading the fan must be shut off until 30 minutes
has elapsed.

The idea is that you want to bring the firebox up to temp quickly. Running a fan could slow that down (removing heat). Also, they are suggesting that an average install with the damper fully closed is not running hot enough to run the fan (again removing heat) and might create an inefficient burn (too low of burn temps).

Bottom line - if your practices allow for quick heatups and you can maintain proper burn temps - all is good.

gotcha. so on a reload I should run the fan manually and wait until i can close air down so I can get the temps up faster ?

What ever works for you. Reloads are one point in time that stove temp is usually low and you will get some smoke from your stack. The QUICKER you can bring the stove up to operating temp, the less smoke - good for everybody.
Basically your manual is just pointing out two scenarios that typically yield low stove temps and is suggesting that you won't want to use your fan to lower them even further.

thanks guys. I usually run the blower on auto and it will stay on during a reload. think ill start shutting fan off for a bit and see if I can get secondaries faster

thanks guys. I usually run the blower on auto and it will stay on during a reload. think ill start shutting fan off for a bit and see if I can get secondaries faster

That is basically the whole idea.

Learn something new everyday here

Status
Not open for further replies.