Identification Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, you guys have ruined me. I now am on a mission to be an insert/stove snob. Everytime I think I know what I am looking for, I find out from all you helpful guys that I know nothing.

I live in a 1500 Sq ft leaky, drafty, uninsulated, 600$ a month light bill home. I'm in South Carolina 70 miles off the coast, and we experienced some days in the teens last year, but primarily that was at night.

I have a heat pump but the hvac guy says is too small for the house . I have a masonry fireplace on the outside wall of the main family room.

I am looking for the best that my limited, budget can afford. From what I have read, an insert that is more exposed will help fit my needs.

I found a lady that is out of state, actually a couple of states away that is interested in getting rid of a stove in a property she picked up as a rental. She said to her knowledge, it heated the 2100 Sq ft home and was sole source of heat. The flue liner is only 1 year old and was professionally installed. 20ft of chimney liner for 250$ didn't seem bad to me. She told me that it hasn't been removed yet, and can't see the tag on back to give me manufacturer date, but that it is an "airtight." Not a Sears model, and was proffessionally installed by guys that didnt carry that specific brand. So I'm posting pics to see if you might be able to help me out.

I have looked at used stoves closer to my area, but they are ancient beasts being sold like they are gold just because they are a stove or insert. Y'all ruined me. I can't bring myself to buying something that was manufactured in the 80's that isn't going to burn well and heat my house atleast a little. Do you know what kind of insert this is? What kind of questions can I ask to give me a better idea of its quality.
01616_4rHuPJBN22C_600x450.jpg
01616_iTpFbxLx7dC_600x450.jpg
Screenshot_2016-12-07-13-17-54.png

Last edited:
I think it might be an old Dutchwest Federal Airtight. I think they are pre-1990. I think it has a catalytic combustor. There may be many expensive parts that are cracked or warped and need replacement. If it was in exceptional condition, it might be workable but you would have to look at it in person and closely inspect the interior of the stove, and the cat. Chances are good that it is shot, or at least half-shot...you might get lucky, though, and it looks decent in the pic. With a masonry chimney, you may need a rear flue exit if you go with a free-standing stove...hard to find in a cheap plate-steel stove. Cast iron stoves like Jotuls have rear-venting. You will need your fireplace dimensions, front and back, to be able to figure out what will fit if you go with an insert.

Reactions: Jesusflunky
I think it might be an old Dutchwest Federal Airtight. I think they are pre-1990. I think it has a catalytic combustor. There may be many expensive parts that are cracked or warped and need replacement. If it was in exceptional condition, it might be workable but you would have to look at it in person and closely inspect the interior of the stove, and the cat. Chances are good that it is shot, or at least half-shot...you might get lucky, though, and it looks decent in the pic. With a masonry chimney, you may need a rear flue exit if you go with a free-standing stove...hard to find in a cheap plate-steel stove. Cast iron stoves like Jotuls have rear-venting. You will need your fireplace dimensions, front and back, to be able to figure out what will fit if you go with an insert.
Thanks. It looked so modern and new. Ha! Back to the drawing board I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.