Identify this New Zealand Fisher?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamati

Aug 30, 2015
Aotearoa, New Zealand
Hello-Since purchasing a fisher goldilocks a few years ago I've become more and more interested in fishers. I recently purchased an old baby bear and papa bear. the baby bear I've just finished restoring. I added a baffle replaced the chimney outlet, derusted using electrolysis and repainted using stove bright. it looks good. next is the papa bear.
You maybe wondering about my goldilocks if you are from the states. I think it is a goldilocks by the measurements. doesn't have pedestal though.

Attachments

• IMG_2715.JPG
    IMG_2715.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_2840.JPG
    IMG_2840.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_2842.JPG
    IMG_2842.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_2850.JPG
    IMG_2850.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 395
The double door stove pictured looks like a Grandma III with Fireplace Legs. Can't tell dimensions from picture, but it would have a 8 inch (20.32 cm) outlet pipe, and use 5 full bricks across back. Top plate should be 25 1/2 inches (64.77 cm) across as well. (Goldilocks is only 59.69 cm across top plate)

Goldilocks is mounted on a pedestal base because the air must come up through it from under home. (Teddy Bear looks the same, but gets air through doors) Goldilocks does not get indoor air through the door intakes. Only the left knob rotates to adjust the air flapper across front and behind doors. The right knob is bolted tight to match the left side. They also have an ash clean out under the ash fender, have double shield on the back for close clearance and are 6 inch (15.24 cm) vent through the top for wall clearance. They are for mobile home and manufactured home use.

Hi Coaly It is a mystery to me. At first by it's look I thought it was a grandma. the brick configuration is the same as a goldilocks. the measurements are
flue size 6"
width 24"
Depth 26"
Height 32"
It must be a NZ variation I guess but of what?

Teddy Bear box on legs instead of pedestal.
Don't know what they might have been called there. The inside of doors may be marked under the nickel shields. We only had Teddy on pedestals here. Teddy is the same size box as Goldilocks, but gets air through doors. (with the exception of a mobile home approved Teddy) Goldi has a screen across the front behind doors with intake chamber leading under bottom into pedestal. Here's some pictures of Goldilocks intake system. Yours has the same double shield on the back as Goldi and Teddy too. Ours didn't have the waterback or shield cut out for it.

Goldilocks w blower 6.jpg The tab that sticks up through screen is welded to flap that goes all the way across. Note the left door has a long threaded bolt from draft cap that threads through door. No air holes in doors. This pushes on the tab closing the flap. When doors are opened, the flap drops allowing full air flow. Closing doors sets the flap back to where it was. This was called the Bear-O-Matic system. Except for that intake system, Goldi and Teddy are the same.

Bear-O-Matic Draft Control.JPG

It is identical to a Teddy Bear box ......
Here is the only stove built identical to a Teddy Bear I have pics of from NZ. (Canada had 7 inch outlet, yours were 6)
It doesn't surprise me that they would make that model since it was a model produced in Canada where your fabricator came from.
Never saw one on legs, and the tag on this one doesn't have Teddy listed. Notice no models are marked on the tag of this one either.

New Zealand Teddy 4.JPG New Zealand Teddy 5.JPG New Zealand Teddy 3.JPG

New Zealand Teddy 1.JPG New Zealand Teddy 2.JPG

Here is one from Canada; You can see the GM marking on inside of doors. They use Grandma doors and the same screen as Grandma, Goldilocks and Insert.

Canadian 7 inch Teddy Bear 2.jpg

Hi Coaly. Ok so a couple of things. There is a mark on the inside of the door above the plate that you can see in the picture. It says, PP1
Note also the plates themselves covering the air intake on the inside of the door. They aren't on your example.There was probably a manufacturers label rivited to the back on the right hand side as there is on my other 2 fishers. I can see 2 drill holes where it would be. Looks like someone in the past has removed it. On the left there is a small label rivited that you can just see in the picture. There is a number on it 527
I have seen a few of my style of burner with the legs. Actually i have only seen them and other older models with legs. Your example is the only one i've seen like that.
I might try and get some info from fisher stoves nz. They should have some old archives. Have you seen there latest models? I like the older models much more.

The plates inside the doors are optional Nickel Shields. They were for keeping the nickel plating cooler on door front. I've never seen a nickel plated door discolor or peel without them.

Here is a page from the Canadian Teddy Bear manual showing the optional shields;
upload_2015-10-23_21-6-47.png

I'm familiar with Fisher Traditional, and current models produced. Their manuals are online as well. They couldn't help me with any "Classic Fisher" questions. Maybe if you're lucky to find someone who was there way back.......

Status
Not open for further replies.