Igniter help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MikeM57

Oct 23, 2017
New York
I have 2008 Regency Greenfield gf55
Which I thought was same as Enviro l Meridian. Igniter stopped working last spring, purchased new one and still not working. Unpluged stove and plugged igniter into wall outlet and it worked. In Enviro manual shows a 120 igniter sensor. On mine their is just a hole with plate cover. If 160 degree fan sensor is failing would that prevent igniter from starting. Noticed at times convection fan was slow to start after manually lightning pellets. How do I test 160 degree sensor. If I unhook the sensor clips and start stove should the igniter get hot. I know the fan won't get power, just want to test igniter. Any help appreciated.

I don't have your stove, but was just dealing with a igniter issue that led me on a wild goose chase with mine.

When you say plate covering hole for your 120 sensor/low limit switch, it sounds like an issue mine had where the sensor itself actually disconnected from the plate (on mine its a pop plate which triggers the sensor when it heats up). Not sure on the access of your stove but the sensor may have fell out like mine did and be hard to see.

If your manual shows a sensor it should have one.

On mine the 160 degree sensor tells the igniter to turn off, by unplugging one of the leads to the sensor it should act like its less than 160 because the circuit is complete and the igniter should go on if everything else is correct.

But as I said, I'm willing to bet that 120 fell out or is located somewhere else. All stoves, and even furnaces I've dealt with have a low limit switch of some sort.

rockstarroar
Thanks for reply. The manual i downloaded is for multiple stoves. The wiring diagram for mine does not have a 120 igniter sensor. The igniter wiring is connected to the 160 sensor. If I unplug one of the leads on the 160 sensor igniter should go on? Will test tonight.
Thanks again

I just pulled up your manual... google autocorrected to "greenfire" instead of "greenfield" but the model number is the same so I'm guessing its correct. I also cross referenced the meridian wiring diagram as well.

https://assets.regency-fire.com/get...-5efb35bf9e6f/GF55-GFI55-Tech-Manual-(2).aspx

There is a 120 degree sensor with two brown wires on the outside of the convection blower exhaust according to the wiring diagram and pictures.

Every stove I have ever seen has a 120, 160, and 200 degree sensor/switch. so I'm sure yours has one.

Here is a link to a replacement 120 sensor to show what your looking for.... as you can see, if the sensor falls out, it looks just like a cover plate like you mentioned on your original post.

https://www.stove-parts-unlimited.c...0-ceramic-fan-temp-sensor-ec-001-p/ec-001.htm

The Greenfire is same stove as the Meridian. If your ignitor is not working but gets hot when direct power is applied to it, its either the motherboard that controls the ignitor coming on or the wiring to the ignitor itself. I don't think a bad POF switch (proof of fire) will affect ignitor operation- but to try it just take the brown wires off the POf switch and short them together. The convection blower should come on when you do. I don't think the POF sends a signal to the control board to turn on and off the ignitor, but the control board may use the input from the POF to determine if the ignitor will come on. I would check the wiring to the ignitor from the control board harness. Good luck with her.