IGNITERS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wil lanfear

Feeling the Heat
May 10, 2008
vermont
I found this the other day, thought I would share the info for those that may have an interest.

http://www.heatersplus.com/products/cartridg.htm

I also found this calculator to help determine what the igniter wattage is of a particular stove.

http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/page2.asp

If you can determine the diameter, the length of the igniter, and the wattage, IMHO, the costs of igniters can be much less.

EDIT: This is another link to help determine what igniter is needed.

http://www.chromalox.com/productcat...aters/Cartridge/CIR/model-details.aspx?m=3253

Wil,

It's very kind of you to provide such detailed and complete information on igniters. I think everyone has to deal with replacement and it would appear that a lot of the members of the forum would like to have an affordable replacement on hand. Especially because they won't die until it's 20 below.

I've been watching to see who would reply to your post (of around noon today) and thought I ought to to reply, before the post goes off the first page.

I can't make heads or tails out of the information. I mean - I don't understand any of it. We all have different talents - none of mine seem to apply here.

Can you tell me what a Harman XXV manufactured Feb 2009 would need? just for example ha ha ha

clifford in Ferrisburgh

Can you tell me what a Harman XXV manufactured Feb 2009 would need? just for example ha ha ha

clifford in Ferrisburgh
I'm guessing that it is 300 watt heater but,...... you need to measure the diameter and the length. In order to confirm my thoughts, have someone measure the voltage at the stove outlet, measure the current of the heater with a amp probe or measure the resistance of the igniter. Now, with any two values, using the calculator, plug the numbers in, this will determine the wattage of your igniter. Example: 120 volts at outlet, 50 ohm resistance value at the igniter, these values calculate the igniter to be 288 watts or a 300 watt heater. MAYBE, your dealer could tell you the wattage of your igniter, maybe he can tell you the resistance value of a new igniter.

You need to buy from a stove supplier, my igniter is not straight, it is a loop, nothing straight about it.

Thank you for the information.

I think I can figure it out now.

I'm surprised (but maybe not) at the cost savings possible.

35 Degrees last night. Just in time.

clifford

Wil,

Have you determined which one is needed for our PB105s?

Andy

Andrew Churchill said:
Wil,

Have you determined which one is needed for our PB105s?

Andy
The OEM igniter is a 300 watt heater, Chromalox # CIR 20301. I see on the Harman web site, in the owners manual, they have changed the ignition design, page 34 and 37. New design consists of a 450 watt igniter with a igniter air pump. Very interesting.

http://www.harmanstoves.com/doc/pb105_R5.pdf

I wonder if we can upgrade our boilers with the new ignitor design? I'm planning on running my boiler in the manual mode this winter due to the inconsistentency of the auto start mode.

I'm going to talk to my dealer at some point, maybe this week, to ask if a kit is going to be available and the costs involved.

Sweet. Keep me posted please. BTW who is your dealer again?

The Stove Depot in Rutland.

Wil,

Did you find out anything from your dealer about the igniter upgrade? Is the design that much better than the old?

Former Farmer said:
Wil,

Did you find out anything from your dealer about the igniter upgrade? Is the design that much better than the old?
I just got back from my dealer, he tells me Harman told him parts would be here 12/23. I'm thinking it will be better, the igniter is not located under the surface of the burn pot, instead it is located so the hot air from the igniter is forced against the pellets to ignite them. Only time will tell after this is installed.

Wil,

What is being upgraded, just the ignitor or part of the burn pot?

Thanks,
Andy

Andrew Churchill said:
Wil,

Thanks,
Andy
Andy,
It is a Pressure Ignition Kit for the PB105, depending what vintage boiler you have depends on what will come in the kit. Mine is an older one so my kit will have to have a newer feeder weldment so the igniter has a nut to thread into. The kit comes with everything needed to include the air pump, 10 RPM feeder, over fire air box, 450 watt air igniter, etc. The link below shows the parts for the pressure ignition system. (pg 33-34)

http://www.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/PB105.pdf

Thanks for the info!

My boiler serial number is 00201 and I think it was assembled in 2006.

How much is the kit?

Andrew Churchill said:
Thanks for the info!

How much is the kit?
My boiler serial number is 00223, assembled 2006 also. I don't know what the cost of the kit is, mine will be installed under the warranty because of the burnpot bubble issue.

I guess I'll have to talk to my dealer. My second burn pot is starting to bubble as well. Thanks for the info.

Andrew, Did you change your board already? I am on the third burn pot and just got the new rev board, my pb105 was built in 06 and is serial # 00309. I was told by Harman that there was not an upgrade kit for the new igniter. I asked the question thru the Harman web site

I don't have the new board yet. It looks like Wil is getting an upgrade kit and the boiler he has is only a month or two newer than mine. You might want to talk to your dealer and tell them what you've learned on this message board.

Hey Guys,
curious to see how the igniter upgrade goes. I have burned through my first one already this year, just waiting for it to be cold enough to run manual mode all the time. I think this is 9 or 10 igniters in three heating seasons. One burn pot bubbled and cracked too. Am I right in thinking the new igniters would be covererd by warranty ? Anyone seen what serial #'s are eligible ?

When I asked Harman, I was told there was not a conversion for the new igniter. Maybe it is time to ask again, I just changed another igniter.

Bill,

Wil clearly states there is a conversion kit for the PB 105. I would talk to your dealer and give him this information.

wil said:
Andrew Churchill said:
Wil,

Thanks,
Andy
Andy,
It is a Pressure Ignition Kit for the PB105, depending what vintage boiler you have depends on what will come in the kit. Mine is an older one so my kit will have to have a newer feeder weldment so the igniter has a nut to thread into. The kit comes with everything needed to include the air pump, 10 RPM feeder, over fire air box, 450 watt air igniter, etc. The link below shows the parts for the pressure ignition system. (pg 33-34)

http://www.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/PB105.pdf

wil said:
Andrew Churchill said:
Thanks for the info!

How much is the kit?
My boiler serial number is 00223, assembled 2006 also. I don't know what the cost of the kit is, mine will be installed under the warranty because of the burnpot bubble issue.

Hello wil,
Just wondering what your burnpot issue is ? Is it the hump/bubble at the top ? I have had one do that too. I called my dealer today to request info on a possible igniter upgrade/replacement. Please let me know how you make out. I have # 306 made in Dec. 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.