Ignition problem White Mountain - VSFR-24

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 23, 2018
Hi Folks,

On only my second season with our gas log set. It's developing an intermittent problem when starting. It's a White Mountain VSFR-24 with remote control.

When is starts there are a series of beeps, then the pilot ignites every time. Pilot looks good, just like it always did. After a few seconds some more beeps start and then, occasionally, instead of flame on, the pilot will just shut down. This is accompanied by a low buzzing sound like a valve closing.

I've replaced the batteries in the receiving unit, but the problem persists. The flame sensor is also positioned correctly in the pilot flame.

Is this a flame sensor problem? (Had similar experiences with the pool heater!)

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks
Ken

Probably the Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS).
Look at the rear of the pilot tube. There is a small hole.
It'll get plugged with dust, pet dander or fur.
See if you can blow anything out of that hole with
a can of compressed air.

Thanks. My wife mentioned a recent incident where it shutdown by itself after running fine for a minute or two. I expect an ODS issue would do that.

Reactions: DAKSY