I'm officially a pellet burner!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sculptor

Hearth Supporter
Sep 22, 2009
central nc
For some reason I had to move it out of the existing folder...

I just installed my stove. I wanted to ask your opinions of the clearance from the back of the stove. It is 4" from the back to the 16 gauge sheet metal. Will that be a problem? It's been running for an hour and I didn't feel the blower in front of the heater and the glass is still very clean. I pushed the heat button and it was on 2 2. I raised it to 5 5. Is that ok? Here are some pics. Please let me know what you think? Now I have to clean the mess I made and the mantle.

The clearance pic
DSC_0123.jpg

The room shot
DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

My son is very excited as you can tell.
DSC_0125.jpg

4 inches is too close to a COMBUSTIBLE surface , what is behind the sheet metal? if its combustible and its within 6 inches its too close per the manual.

if there are no combustibles behind the sheet metal which are within 6 inches you are just fine.

other than that install (what i can see of it) looks fine

nice choice on the 10-cpm, its a great stove. and above all else welcome to the ESW family!

Thanks Mike! There is nothing behind the sheet metal except the open fireplace. Is it set on corn burn? I see very small pieces of wood pellets (not whole) being dropped and it was set on 2 2 setting. I have raised it to 5 5 and the blower came on and it's warming up. Should I just leave it be?

I believe in the CD it states that it would be automatically set on 5 5 and it wasn't...

with th eblower down on 2 you may not even know its running , its quite slow at that setting. im good with leaving the stove where it sits after your reply so no prob there .

to check the setting for the stove (what fuel its set for) use this procedure;

stove cold and out.

unplug and replug the power cord
quickly push the "blower speed" up and down arrows together and release.
there will be a number by itself in the "heat range" readout to signify which mode its set for.
1 is pellet
5 is corn
6 is cherry pit
the other numbers are for other stoves and should not be used.
to change the mode after pushing the blower speed arrows to make the mode number appear , use the heat range up or down arrow to adjust the mode to the desired fuel type.

note , the mode readout wil only stay lit for about 5 seconds so you will want to make your change within that "window of opportunity" should you not get it changed fast enough , unplug the stove and repeat the procedure until you have set the stove at the desired mode.

Sculptor,

Nice install, Fits into your very nice room with class. Looks like it belongs and that is a high compliment.

I have a Lopi leyden installed in front of a fireplace with a sheet metal plate over the fireplace opening.

No combustables are behind the sheet metal, and a 2 3/4" clearance between the back of the stove and the sheet metal. No problems whatsoever.

I am surprised that more installs are not done that way rather than using inserts. Less hassle for maintenance. Does however use a little more room space . . . .

When planning the install a couple of stove shop personnel just could not comprehend what I was wanting to do and kept saying, but you will need an insert to do that.

Link below to pics of my install.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42480/

Enjoy your pellet stove!!

Ranger

Thanks Ranger! I was so impressed with your install as well as Charles U Farley, that I decided that's the look I wanted. thank you both for that! I realize now that I could have cut back my hearth about one more tile and not have it stick out so much. Oh well, I'm happy!

Great looking stove & install you've got there.....I think I've seen one before... :)

Seriously though, the install looks great. Just follow the instruction as per the manual/cd, or Mike H., and you'll have that stove humming right along.

Conratulations, and thanks for the great pics....now we know it really did happen! :lol:

PS I forget...what pellets are you burning to start with?

PPS Don't forget to get a good surge protector or UPS/surge unit on that stove.

thanks macman! You have been a big help with everything from the tip on where to buy at a great price, as well as install. I am burning rocky mountain. It's the only pellet I have in my area and I'm soooo glad it's a good one. I guess I'm just impatient, buy I can put my hand on any part of the stove and even touch the glass and it's only very warm. It's only been running for two hours. I do have a surge protector also.

Nice job. How many feet did you have to go up
the chimney with the vent pipe? I'm just curious.

Even though I had a 6" chimney liner inside that I installed when I had a wood burner in there. I decided to go out the back instead of up the chimney.

sculptor said:
thanks macman! You have been a big help with everything from the tip on where to buy at a great price, as well as install. I am burning rocky mountain. It's the only pellet I have in my area and I'm soooo glad it's a good one.....I do have a surge protector also.

No thanks needed....I'm glad to be able to help.

BTW, you are VERY lucky to be able to get the Rocky Mtn. pellets. I "stumbled across" 1.3 tons during the summer, and scapped them right up, being the smart pellet pig that I (think) I am. :lol: Wish I could get them on a regular basis.

Glad to hear about the surge protector.....make sure it's a minimum of 700-800 joules protection....more is better.

Enjoy the heat!

PS How about some burning pics!

Here are some burning pics...
A few thoughts so far.
I like the smell of the pellets. I have reached the minimum three hour mark and just now turned the stove up to 9 9 to see what the difference is. Coming from a wood burning mentality I guess I find it a bit odd that I can touch virtually any part of the stove (except the glass of course). I can put my hand in front of the blower and it not be hot enough to have to move it away. I do wonder how this will be when the temps are really low. It's 54 now and I thought it might run me out of here, however I do have 12' ceilings. Does your stove get so hot you can't hold your hand in front of it? Will it get this hot at a slower pace? I also noticed that when I went to turn the stove back down pressing the heat button only the heat light indicator moved down and the blower remained on 9, which is not what happened turning it up. I am really enjoying this stove! I find it very attractive and will get used to not having to put wood inside very quickly! I will go tomorrow to TSC and purchase my winter usage of Rocky Mountain pellets for $289 per ton and they only 1 mile away. :)

I would love the paint detail you did with yours and maybe a skull (I work primarily in the forensics field) decorative metal plate that a member makes and I'll be good-to-go!

DSC_0130.gif

DSC_0127.gif

*thank you everyone for the nice compliments!

sculptor said:
Even though I had a 6" chimney liner inside that
I installed when I had a wood burner in there. I decided to go out the back instead of up the chimney.

Oh ok. So you drilled through the brick? That's cool. Any pics of that?
That would be interesting to see the exterior photos of the final vent install.

Yes I did. After reading the possible problems with venting it through that sized liner, and the high cost running 4" vent pipe up 3 stories of 12' ceiling to the top of the chimney...I took the easy route. :red: I'll take some tomorrow of the outside install.

sculptor said:
Yes I did. After reading the possible problems with venting it through that sized liner, and the high cost running 4" vent pipe up 3 stories of 12' ceiling to the top of the chimney...I took the easy route. :red: I'll take some tomorrow of the outside install.
I don't think drilling through brick is taking the easy route. But definitely the cheaper route.

I woke up this morning and my stove was off. I knew I had enough pellets inside so I had a moment of panic. I opened the hopper and sure enough I had plenty of pellets but the auger just fed from the center and ran out when it ate out a center hole. I had many pounds of pellet around the center hole it ate from. Is there a trick to keep the gravity feed going, or do I just have to keep checking it and moving the pellets to the middle?

sculptor said:
......I just have to keep checking it and moving the pellets to the middle?

Yep, I check it every few hours, and right as I get ready to go to bed....pile them as high in the middle as you can. Filling the hopper full before bed should do the trick too.

It's about the only thing about the 10-cpm that I think my Astoria was better at....the astoria pellet hopper walls were steeper, and smoother, so pellets fed until it was almost empty.

Oh well, I can deal with it....no biggie for me.

BTW, had the stove on 1-1 (lower buttons at 1-3-1) last night, 34 degrees this morning outside, and house was at a comfy 69 when I got up at 6:45 to take the (new) dog out for a walk.

macman, would you elaborate a little on the bottom buttons? I think I must be doing something wrong here because my unit just doesn't seem to put out very much heat. All I adjust is the heat range button to 9 9 (the blower goes up with the heat range) and I get warm air....not hot. Like I said before I can touch anywhere on the stove and my coffee mug is warmer. If I stand 4 ft away I feel the blower and it is actually cool air I feel.

This is the height of my flame on 9 9.
DSC_0131.gif

I pushed the bottom left button: 1
middle button: 4
right button: 1

macman said:
I got up at 6:45 to take the (new) dog out for a walk.

Wow-wow-wow, What this? A new dog and not a photo to prove it! macman don't be holding out on us. Pictures buddy, We like pictures remember!

sculptor,

There are several tricks to make the pellets slide better. I rub wax paper in the hopper once a month or so to help them slide. I get less than a 1lb. coffee can before mine goes out. Others have lined with the metal tape. The more they slide the lower the level will go. Before it stops feeding.

jay

Thanks for the tip Jay!

I went out today and came back in and was pretty impressed by the warmth of the room. I know there is a learning curve with owning a pellet stove and I believe I make the mistake of comparing it to the wood burner I've had for years. This is a different kind of heat...It's hard to explain. I still love the stove I just want to get better at working with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.