Impressions of my Mt. Vernon insert after a week...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John97

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2011
Spring Hill, FL
I did a cleaning earlier today since it's pretty warm - the stove was off and somewhat cool. So, I set the thermostat to OFF and let it cool for another half-hour or so.

It seems like a good time to go over things so far.

After reading some old threads on here, I am apparently cleaning it way too often. But, the dirty glass gets to me.

In a week, I have done the following cleaning routine 3x:

1) Drop the baffle, brush/vac the baffle. heat exchanger, and rest of the interior.

2) Clean the glass.

3) Open the ash pan and vac it out.

4) Put it all back together.

Overall, it takes me all of 15 minutes. So, I really don't mind. I have not had to touch the burnpot whatsoever. It is virtually spotless.

I've been cleaning the glass with a few damp paper towels. But today, I took it a step further and used my wife's ceramic cooktop cleaner on the glass after the normal paper towel routine.

I can already see the glass is staying cleaner after only a few hours of burn time since I fired it back up. If that ends up being the case, I'll extend the cleaning interval.

As far as operation goes, I can see that I should be able to heat my entire house with the Mt. Vernon regardless of how cold it gets. I was able to improve the airflow distribution so all parts of the house are warm enough. I love how quiet it is and it's so nice to sit in our living room and watch tv while enjoying the warmth. The wife is most happy with how nice it looks

The C&C pellets seem to have an awful lot of fines, but I have no basis for comparison. That will change because my next load of pellets will be GAP's. I'll see how they burn.

Not famailar with that brand of pellets are they softwood?

You can wipe the glass without doing an entire cleaning. :lol:

I've only ever burned softwoods and have never had any burnpot buildup either.

Glad its working out for you.

You will like the GAPs!

Send us pics or..........they will say "it didn't Happen!"

Everyone here loves to see pics of the stoves!!

Congrats and Happy Burning and Happy New Year!

smoke show said:

I got the ash vac sitting right there. I can't resist.

The C&C's are hardwood pellets.

John97 said:
smoke show said:

I got the ash vac sitting right there. I can't resist.

The C&C's are hardwood pellets.

I hate to rub it in but I just won an ash vac.

See thread and click link to enter. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/81978/P15/#1056445

Can't wait to try it.

twojrts said:
You will like the GAPs!

Send us pics or..........they will say "it didn't Happen!"

Everyone here loves to see pics of the stoves!!

Congrats and Happy Burning and Happy New Year!

My avatar is a pic of my stove after install but before it worked. :)

I just took another but have to resize it and whatnot. I am posting from my phone in a lapdock. Don't have an app on here that will let me edit the photo the way I want.

We will wait, John97!

Good things come to those who wait!!

I like the look of the stove.

I clean my glass with a damp paper towel and I dip it in the ashpan, then wipe the glass with it and wipe it clean with a dry one. It takes off the dark parts with ease.

It has taken minimal effort with just the damp paper towel. everything wipes right off. I read about using the ash as a scrubbing aid but haven't had the need.

Time for a better picture...

Attachments

• Impressions of my Mt. Vernon insert after a week...
    MtVern.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 363
oldmountvernon said:
j-takeman said:
oldmountvernon said:
j-takeman said:
Nice john, Those Mt V's sure are pretty! ;-)

sureeeeeeeeee praise him, but attack me :p

Yours is pretty too! And it wasn't an attack, Just a few pokes at a pig! :cheese:

save the poking for smoke he likes to get poked :kiss:

Impressions of my Mt. Vernon insert after a week...

Status
Not open for further replies.