impulse tube cause low compression?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fakeingitforever

Oct 29, 2017
NE
I was buying a 266 saw for parts and the guy also had a husq 41 siting in the back of the truck. said it would start and then die once it warmed up, but i wanted a small saw so i paied a little more than i meant to and got both of them. 75 psi on the 41, did a pressure test and saw the impulse "tube" gromet?? was leaking air like crazy. Would a leaky impulse tube thign really drop the spin-over pressure that much? this one uses a grommet that seals the air intake to the cylinder wall, not a flexible tube, if that makes a difference.

I ask because i got bored later in the night and tore the saw apart. it had a good amount of gunk built up from use (owner said he bought it new 15 years ago) but it didn't look abused and the piston and cylinder looked really really minty. a lot of carbon on the piston top and cylinder, but I would think it should have been making compression from the looks of things. Rebuild kit is cheap enough so i am going to rebuilt it eventually, but for tonight i think I'll scuff it and put it back together and see if the compression comes back.

I don't know jack about 2 strokemotors, but i've rebuilt plenty a car engine before, I think I atleast know what not to do.

what kind of compr gauge did you use?
it is a screw in one i got off Amazon with the valve at the inlet, but i just discovered the adapter adds enough dead volume between the cylinder and the head that my other saw that tested 90 with the adapter tests 120 without. so thanks for spurring htat thought. the saw that tested 75 has lower displacment so it probably was close to 110-140. unfortunatly i already tore it down to piece parts, I guess i'll put it back together tonight with the new impulse tube and see what the comp looks like.