In Appliance Batteries

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NoGoodAtScreenNames

Feeling the Heat
Sep 16, 2015
Massachusetts
I found this pretty interesting. A few companies are working on putting batteries directly inside induction stoves. My first thought was that seems wasteful -why not use that capacity in a whole house battery. But there’s a lot of good reasons why connecting the battery to an appliance makes sense. Basically it sips a little bit of power all day and if needed uses the battery to boost to the equivalent of a standard stove / oven to not overrun the 120 volt circuit it’s connected to.

It allows retrofits on gas ovens since this can run on a 120 volt circuit. It doesn’t impact the max load of the house so less likely to need service line updates. Simpler / no permitting requirements since this just plugs in. Cooking is still available during a power outage. It uses DC to power the magnets so there’s no pot singing and performs better than other induction stoves when using a wok.

Seems like a creative solution.

Here’s a good discussion with some guys working in the startups that are producing them.

Fronius did a similar thing with a small portable welding machine about 5 years back. Could run higher outputs off a standard 120 plug, or even weld without power for a while.

Think in terms of the stove I'd rather have a battery in the basement though.