In Progress PB105 Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

t.kelly0224

Apr 7, 2012
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I just got my new PB105 into the basement and into place, and it's time to start ordering parts. I was curious as to if you guys recommend a cast manifold setup or a copper?

Thanks for the help.

I have used both. It's what you like. You can get pre-made steel manifolds that are 1-1/4 with 3/4 outlets. I like copper, but it's expensive, especially 1" and up fittings. If you can find good old lead 50/50 solder (they still stock it at ACE much to my suprise) it's much nicer to work with melts around 450* instrad of 700* making it flow much nicer into the socket of the fitting, but only use it on heating, and not drinking (potable) water.

I installed the PB105 for a family member last fall, and was impressed with the unit, seems to be very well made, and started and ran smoothly. I ended up dialing the feed rate back to somewhere around 3.5 to avoid short cycleing though. He said he needed to keep the burn pot holes well cleaned above the igniter, he did burn one up last winter. I'd order a spare igniter to have on hand.

TS

Thanks for the response. I've been trying to find some iron manifolds with little luck. I'm making a 5 zone system, and the return will have circulators so it needs to be like 6 " oc. Any ideas or suppliers you know of?

Thanks for the response. I've been trying to find some iron manifolds with little luck. I'm making a 5 zone system, and the return will have circulators so it needs to be like 6 " oc. Any ideas or suppliers you know of?
Welcome to the forum, you'll find a lot a good info here if you need it. I have a PB105 and it was "commissioned" in Feb of this year. So far I like it a lot, well made, efficient, quiet, and makes a pile of btus. On the manifolds, I bought a 12 port Sioux Chief with 3/4" ports on a 1 1/4" main trunk in copper. Cut it in half and soldered (with 50/50 lead/tin solder) all the fittings and valves. The manifold itself was just under $100. With that I have 2 large capacity 6 hole manifolds at a fair price.

I had considered doing the same thing, the only problem is that I am doing 5 circulators, so I need to find a wider on center pattern to accomodate the circulators.

I had considered doing the same thing, the only problem is that I am doing 5 circulators, so I need to find a wider on center pattern to accomodate the circulators.
Instead of the many circulators I went with zone valves and a single large delta T circulator. Whenever a zone calls for heat, the circ kicks on and the zone valve for that zone opens. If more zones open, the circ compensates with more volume. For me I think it will save money and energy.

I'm with smokeeater, zoneing with valves is the way to go in residetial situations. If you run the numbers it would scare you to death of the cost of electricity to run circulators over the life of the system. But it's your install, these are just our opinions and the weight behind why we have them.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.