In search of small cabin heat solution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jared_L

Oct 20, 2020
SE Indiana
Mod edit: Moved from closed Boiler Room thread:

I have a cabin I'd like to fit with a wood fuel option... It currently has only has electric radiant heat. It's ~700 square feet so not much space (4 rooms) and it is well insulated. It has many acres of wood surrounding it and this fuel makes sense. Installing a wood stove seems most straightforward and easy... And I like the thought of the ambiance and ability to cook on it. Also, seems like there "could' be a hot water option that could be installed? (I haven't explored this--it actually sounds difficult).

I appreciate all for replies... Thank you. (and really thought I posted this last Oct when I posted, and read replies)
Unsure if moderator could move this to 'woodstove and fireplace' section, but I think it relates better to that section.

My place is in US (SE Indiana). I find a lot of options online, but when I go to a local showroom, there's few I get to "touch." My hunch is that there isn't a lot of demand for woodstoves in the midwest.

I like the morso squirrel, but only came close to seeing one in a showroom once... It sold before I could make the trip to see it.

I saw a morso 3450 and 8151 this past weekend. The sales guy said they're looking to sell them at "dealer cost" which is 1950 and 2500 respectively. His reason for selling at cost is supposedly due to regulations... All things considered (not just the $) it's a big purchase for me. I like the 3450 for the space. It has good clearance specifications. Not thrilled about 14" wood, but this is a tradeoff for a small stove. It has soapstone which is not something I know much about. Seems to me that the soapstone will increase time to heat my place if I use the stove infrequently? It's acts as a energy store so maybe it helps with overnight burning? To note, I didn't dislike the 8151, but the 3450 has exposed iron on top--I see this as a cooktop. (when growing up with woodstove, we often heated water on woodstove--would like this option with this stove too). If folks see the 8151 having providing strong advantage/value over 3450, I'd like to read your thoughts.

Do any of you have thoughts on this? I look forward to being out of the woodstove market, but want to consider as many things as possible before I take the plunge.

Thanks

8151.png 3450.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This is old inventory. These stoves are not allowed to be sold by a dealer after May 2020. They are not tested to the 2020 EPA standards. What he is proposing is illegal and could cost him dearly if found out. While there did you look at and price out the Morso 7110 or 2b? They take larger 16" firewood and are ok to sell now. The Morso website has more information on them and what is currently sold in the US.

For a cold cabin, go a bit oversized, especially if you are there mostly weekends in the winter. It takes a lot of heat to warm up the mass of a building and its content quickly. Also consider a Jotul F602v3 and VC Aspen C3.

This is old inventory. These stoves are not allowed to be sold by a dealer after May 2020. They are not tested to the 2020 EPA standards. What he is proposing is illegal and could cost him dearly if found out. While there did you look at and price out the Morso 7110 or 2b? They take larger 16" firewood and are ok to sell now. The Morso website has more information on them and what is currently sold in the US.

For a cold cabin, go a bit oversized, especially if you are there mostly weekends in the winter. It takes a lot of heat to warm up the mass of a building and its content quickly. Also consider a Jotul F602v3 and VC Aspen C3.
Thanks for the feedback. No, I didn't price out other morso stoves as they only had the two I mentioned... There just aren't a lot places carrying the physical stoves which limits what I get to see in showrooms. Not sure how much I could haggle off of a morso list price, but the 7110 is listed at $3160--considerably more than the "non-EPA-compliant" 3450. Perhaps a dealer would 40% off, but that seems unlikely. I'm curious... Do the EPA regulations improve the stove operation? I will look into this... I'm sure there's a separate thread debating is ; ) Thanks again!

For a cold cabin, go a bit oversized, especially if you are there mostly weekends in the winter. It takes a lot of heat to warm up the mass of a building and its content quickly.

I would add to this, go with a steel stove. Soapstone and cast iron jackets are great for long, even heat. Steel stoves heat up and start radiating quickly, and when you get to your cold cabin that is what you'll want. A blower is also recommended to help you get your cabin warmed up more quickly.

Thanks. I ended up purchasing morso 3450. User 'Wendell' has a 3450 and what he said about it did most of the selling for me... (He probably works for Morso and designed it or something ; ) ). I was on the fence about soapstone... In fact, I question why the soapstone 3450 requires additional clearance than the iron equivalent--this confuses me. But I have an electric option that factors into how the place is heated, and likely the temperature difference I'll need to overcome from vacated to unvacated. One side of me (we'll call it luxury/convenience) will use baseboard heat, the prepper/outdoorsman will disconnect from grid and burn wood. Once installed, I will have gained an option--they're important these days! Thanks for your reply/feedback.

Did the dealer mention to you that the 2b and 7100 qualify for a 26% tax credit on the entire installation? These older models do not.

Did the dealer mention to you that the 2b and 7100 qualify for a 26% tax credit on the entire installation? These older models do not.
He did. It couldn't have been applied to the stove I purchased though... (EPA regulations... to note, they sell these stoves "used" as a loophole to sell them and not take loss). Installation would have cost almost as much as the stove (before the 26% off). The 2b was one that interested me, but no showrooms had any. I would have had to drive a day to see one (in Michigan). I found that shops that installed required you buy the stove from them--this wouldn't work well for me. Also found other shops sell "used" new stoves. Crazy market!

Note: The supply chain is disrupted. Finding a reputable installer would be a concern... Lead times for a stove (not to mention one that would need ordered overseas) is not something I'm gambling on. I just did on a farm implement (box grader) and it took 9 months to receive. Hopefully things change back to how they were.

Thanks for your response. Thanks for moderating too. Once installed, I plan to report what I like and dislike (about the stove) here... Just like others have--it's been very valuable in my decision and I'd like to pay it forward to someone in the future in the stove market.

Yes, this is a rough year for purchasing a new stove. Post a picture of the stove once it has been broken in and has a fire burning in it. We like to see fire!