Increase on Harman fines cover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mik_kane

Feeling the Heat
Dec 14, 2012
NEPA Poconos
Quick question
Why does the fines cover on my P61 have the word Increase on the cover?
The test date on the stove is March 1998

20160113_211002.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe someone wrote that there, they weren't cleaning it often enough.

Are you sure this is the fines box you are looking at ? Where is it located in the stove ?

Are you sure this is the fines box you are looking at ? Where is it located in the stove ?

Here is a pic, and yes I am sure it is the fines box cover it is located behind the control panel.
And yes it is a P61

20160113_211002.jpg

Last edited:
That certainly is interesting. I would be interested in the answer if anyone knows, just so I can store it in my vast array of useless facts (I can't remember the useful ones though :p)

Is that an older P61? It must be and that cover may have shared duty with another model stove like a coal stoker or some such thing. I'm just guessing, so don't take it to the bank !

There is nothing inside my P6a fines box that would correlate to that cover LOL ! And the P61A cover isa stamping basically, is not cast at any rate, but just a steel plate with a couple slots to mount it and with a gasket.

That fines cover looks exactly the same as mine on my Harman Invincible which is a 1996 model year. I always assumed the cover was multi purpose on a number of stoves, including coal. He's says it's a P61 from 1998 and I've got no reason not to believe him. I didn't think the P series started until around 2000. Learn something new here every day.

Reactions: alternativeheat
That is there because Its the same casting that was originally used on the Invicible T and perhaps earlier models, if there were any.

These used a threaded rod with a knob one would adjust to set the max feed rate, as the push block throw could be fine tuned for the maximum demand and your pellet length.

Once its set, at lower settings the controller would cycle the auger motor, but could never push so much pellets if run continuously that the embers would fall, just ash. This is because whenever the stove was below setpoint, the auger would run 100% duty till setpoint was reached. This mechanical adjustment limited max feed to get complete burn in all runnign conditions.

Turning the knob CCW, pulled out the threaded rod, increasing the throw on the push block, more pellets per stroke.

Beyond that model, the user-adjustable threaded rod was deleated, the feed rate duty cycle was set by a dial on the controller instead.
There is likely a fixed bump-stop for the push block.

Oh, and test date is NOT the build date, its when that model stove was first UL tested.

Last edited:
Oh, and test date is NOT the build date, its when that model stove was first UL tested.

Thank you for your response
I bought this stove used and thought it was built in '98.
Is there anyway to find out the build date? I would like to know how old this stove is.

That is there because Its the same casting that was originally used on the Invicible T and perhaps earlier models, if there were any.

These used a threaded rod with a knob one would adjust to set the max feed rate, as the push block throw could be fine tuned for the maximum demand and your pellet length.

Once its set, at lower settings the controller would cycle the auger motor, but could never push so much pellets if run continuously that the embers would fall, just ash. This is because whenever the stove was below setpoint, the auger would run 100% duty till setpoint was reached. This mechanical adjustment limited max feed to get complete burn in all runnign conditions.

Turning the knob CCW, pulled out the threaded rod, increasing the throw on the push block, more pellets per stroke.

Beyond that model, the user-adjustable threaded rod was deleated, the feed rate duty cycle was set by a dial on the controller instead.
There is likely a fixed bump-stop for the push block.

Thanks for chiming in - that is truly interesting and something I never would have thought of.

It probably was a left over cover for a switch on another appliance that happened to fit. Looks like it could have been a cover for a electrical control box

My Advance has the same cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.