Indoor Gasification Wood Boiler for 1,000 Sq Ft Home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ronthevon

Oct 13, 2022
Homer, AK
Hello everyone. I have read many posts discussing indoor wood boilers and have learned a lot!

I am building a well-insulated, airtight 1,000 sq ft home in Homer, Alaska. I am willing to pay for the lowest-maintenance, most- efficient wood boiler. I prefer it to be an indoor unit based on my home design. I am guessing I'd like to stick with gasification to improve efficiency and reduce wood use. The issue is that most of the discussions here have dealt with 2,000 to 5,000 sq ft applications.

Is there a small unit the abides by EPA rules (MBTEK doesn't I think)? Any guidance would be appreciated. I am willing to install a thermal water storage unit, as that also seems to improve efficiency and convinience.

Thanks!

My guess is you may be out of luck. What you want sounds like a niche product and with certification costs my guess is a manufacturer would not spend the time and money to build a small unit.

On the other hand if you have the space, a larger boiler with well insulated thermal storage may only need to be run every couple of days.

Reactions: EbS-P
Gasification with storage will fit your house , storage gives you an efficient burn and longer times between firings . I would also include in floor radiant heating .
The boiler I'm running now is a Vedolux 450 it is easy to clean and burns efficiently and smoke free .
[email protected]
717 389 -0083
Ask for Dean
From what I know there there are only 3 indoor boilers that make the EPA two requirements, Vedolux ,Froling , and Garn. The Garn Junior for boiler and Storage is a small footprint .

Last edited:
Reactions: brenndatomu
From what I know there there are only 3 indoor boilers that make the EPA two requirements, Vedolux ,Froling , and Garn. The Garn Junior for boiler and Storage is a small footprint .
HeatMaster also makes the G series that are OWB's but are approved for indoor install too.

If it were me I would stay away from a Garn and any open system for that matter. I sure wish I wouldn't have bought a Garn. Its been a money pit.

Any idea of the btus/hour you will need?