Indoor/Outdoor see-through wood fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

klitscher

Oct 29, 2020
West TN
We are putting an addition on our house and are interested in a two-sided, see-through fireplace that would go on an outside wall between our living room and a covered porch outside. I've tried to search the forums and reviews for information; I'm primarily looking at the Supreme Duet 4 Seasons or an Acucraft. The cost/size/EPA rating of the Duet has me leaning that way, but I haven't been able to find any information on its usage as an indoor/outdoor fireplace.

We hope to use the fireplace primarily for ambience but also to supplement our heating. We're in the southeastern US and don't get too cold in the winter, but anything to take the edge of the temperature and utility bill will be appreciated.

My questions are:
1. Is anyone using the Duet or Acucraft Hearthroom fireplaces in this type of installation and what are your pros/cons? (If this is addressed elsewhere on the forum, please link; as I said, I searched but could only find information on completely indoor installations).
2. I've noticed reviews on the Duet and Hearthroom talk about lack of draft leading to smoke being dumped in the house. Is everyone having this issue? (see ToastyBoy's Review, Chum Stain's excellent install thread)
3. I really like the idea of longer burn times (through the night or during the day when we are gone); it seems like these type of fireplaces are only getting 4-5 hours max. Is that my limit on those?
4. Is this a pipe dream? Do I need to just look at one-way fireplaces?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

This same question was asked a couple of years ago. If I recall correctly there was no solution that didn't have several caveats.

This same question was asked a couple of years ago. If I recall correctly there was no solution that didn't have several caveats.

Thank you - no, it does not seem to have a great solution. Was wondering if there were others who had actually done the install and what their experience was.